(I suspect) NVIDIA GeForce 320M causes my Macbook Pro running Windows 10 to crash/freeze

Wodfist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
I recently installed Windows 10 on a partition of my Macbook Pro 7,1. I had some problems with the drivers of NVIDIA GeForce 320M causing the computer to crash at startup. Right now I have all of the drivers uninstalled and the computer starts up and is stable while on the internet etc.

The issue now is that when I am trying to play Age of Empires 2 through Steam, the computer will crash/freeze in a matter of some time. Sometimes it crashes a few minutes in and sometimes it can take an hour.

The crash/freeze makes the display have pixelated horizontal lines and the audio becomes a robotic noise. I have sometimes seen the screen still updating itself.
A similar crash/freeze also happened when watching a friend play AOE2 through the Steam streaming service.

I have done some research and it seems the most likely cause is the NVIDIA GeForce 320M not being compatible with the EFI-booted partition. A friend also suggested that maybe the issue or something else is causing an overheat, which leads to the crash/freeze.

This whole case is getting slightly annoying and very mind-boggling so any help would be appreciated.

Questions:
How do I accurately diagnose what causes the issue?
If the problem is the graphics card, how do I resolve the issue, preferably without having to reinstall Windows?