i swear this topic isn't about how my mbp gets too hot or how to upgrade the gpu

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suedehead, Jun 6, 2011.

1. suedehead macrumors member

however,
    i have two quick questions:

* my friend wants to buy me a 13" mbp with his student discount, will i get in trouble for this if my mbp breaks down? i mean you register the mac after the first bootup to your own name, right?

* i come from the darkside (windows) and i have a 1tb western digital (elements?), but now i read that it wasn't compatible with mac, any suggestions on how i can get my most important files onto my mbp, with the least amount of trouble?

thanx.

2. The Mad Mule, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011

The Mad Mule macrumors regular

That is true. IIRC, when you buy something from Apple, it says who bought it. So if you register under a different name, that's going to be mighty hard to explain.

Are you talking a 2.5" laptop drive that you want to put into the laptop, or a 3.5" desktop drive? Or is it even an external hard drive? If it's formatted in FAT32, I think Macs won't be able to read those (natively, at least; IDK if you can download software to make them read it). But if it's NTFS, it will read it fine. But if it is a laptop drive you're talking about, then you'll have to re-format it once you stick it in the MBP.

3. Kyllle macrumors 6502

1. No, you won't
    2. Copy it onto a drive that is compatible?

4. RolandVet macrumors member

Other way around, fat32 has native support whilst ntfs doesn't.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

5. suedehead thread starter macrumors member

thank you for the quick replies.

@mad mule,
    i should have mentioned that i was talking about an external drive, my bad. since i posted this i found that you can reformat the external. although i think it would be easier to just get a new external

@kylllle,
    so does that mean that windows supports both formats? ntfs and fat32? and i can do it via windows? any sugestions on decent (price/quality) external drives for mac?

6. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Crap, thanks for catching that. Now that reminded me of Hackintoshes and how they wouldn't read the NTFS partitions.

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

1: No you won't. Look at it as a gift purchase, it's yours!

2: It will work, just format (Disk Utility) to Mac OS Journal

8. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Is this just a standard student discount (Apple Store) or a local discount at the student bookstore? If it's the former, you can do it yourself online. You don't have to provide any proof of being a student, just click through to get the discount. http://store.apple.com/us-hed (if you want to be a college student or parent of a college student) http://store.apple.com/us-k12 (if you prefer lower grades and parents/staff thereof) The prices are the same either way.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

There's a limit on student discount machines iirc. But probably not one you'd hit.

10. some-dude macrumors member

When I did the switch I plugged my external into my MBP and could read the drive but not write to it. I copied the files I needed onto my MBP, formatted the drive, then copied them back onto the external.

Formatting your old drive is free, can be done using your new MBP at home and will take about a minute to accomplish.

11. suedehead thread starter macrumors member

i figured explaining it like this, if i'd run into trouble. but that seems unlikely from what i learn from this topic.

if i can get the mbp to read and copy the file onto the mbp, that would be enough. so i can put my music on the laptop. i wouldn't mind keeping the old external for my windows desktop and getting a new one for my mbp.

@Bob Coxner
    thanx for the insights, but i'm a euro so i don't think i can do much with those links. however, i do appreciate the effort, might be helpful to someone else. thanx anyways.

12. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Have him buy it and then tranfer the ownership to you - effectively you are buying it from him second hand ;)

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Afaik you are aloud to purchase one Notebook each year as a student. Once you purchased it is yours. You can sell it, blow it up or do anything else with it. There is nothing illegal about buying one each year and reselling them.