Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFRG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I was just checking Mountain Lion Features, especifically on the 200 new features and at the bottom of the page on 3 it says.

3. Supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer).

it's for Quicktime X new high performance H.264 encoding, but my point is that there isn't new model of the iMac so I think it's clear that ML will support a new iMac and it probably be when ML arrives, so Yes I think the 2012 iMac is coming when the ML release date gets closer.

I hope am not reading to much into lines... what do you think?

Attachments

• Apple   OS X Mountain Lion   See everything the new OS X can do..png
    Apple OS X Mountain Lion See everything the new OS X can do..png
    15.7 KB · Views: 600

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
i think you are just telling yourself what you want to hear.

noone knows when the new imac is coming now...noone.

07dodge

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Mid-2011 is a whole year old now. I don't see any translation of that meaning a new iMac is due with Mountain Lion.

I was kinda bummed myself, but I think the current model is a darn fine machine, so I'll have no reservations pulling the trigger.

JonnyQ23

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Mid-2011 is a whole year old now. I don't see any translation of that meaning a new iMac is due with Mountain Lion.

I was kinda bummed myself, but I think the current model is a darn fine machine, so I'll have no reservations pulling the trigger.

I will still have resevations. I agree it's not a bad machine, but don't older parts drop in price as newer/better tech is released? It just feels like I'm buying older stuff at a premium price. I would really like someone to find out what market price was for each component when the current iMac was released a year ago, and what each component goes for today. I'd buy the current iMac tonight if the price matched the tech. I am very disappointed.

paulbee

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
I think OP's point is that mid-2011 is the most recent iMac, so "newer" hints that there's something in the works, and that it will probably arrive with ML or they wouldn't feel the need to account for it when discussing ML.

I think you probably are reading too much into it; they seem to want to play things close to the vest, and it seems unlikely that they'd inadvertently out an unannounced product like this. That said, I expect we will get a refresh around the ML release. On the other hand, I was pretty confident we'd have something by WWDC, so...

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I hope you are right LFRG. I just hope they will keep the RAM user upgradeable.

I like everything about the new Macbook Pro with Retina Display except that you cannot upgrade it later.

bulkknoccout

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
If you think about the product list that showed up meant something because most of it matched up with the refreshed products on the Australia apple site and when u add the to the cart the price matches. Also the ipad cases matched....it seem weird to me that this info came out before and most of it match up...so it probably means something for iMacs...check it out....

sloncek

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
If you think about the product list that showed up meant something because most of it matched up with the refreshed products on the Australia apple site and when u add the to the cart the price matches. Also the ipad cases matched....it seem weird to me that this info came out before and most of it match up...so it probably means something for iMacs...check it out....

What matched was the new MacBook Pro retina

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
lifeguard90
macrumors 6502a
well i think imac for june is still in the cards just obvi not today stock is still low in third parties. 2-4 day delay just to change the hdd. BTO prices on some items apparently dropped a little. foreign retailers and Apples store pickup is delayed until the 21st+- so imo, hope still lasts if next wed comes with nothing than revaluate for a ML july release.

bulkknoccout

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
What matched was the new MacBook Pro retina

Well the new models and the refresh of the macbook airs, pro,mac pro,and the cases also the express airport....look at the leak list..go to apple site choose country Australia and look at the new products with their model number...a match them up with the list of product numbers also if u put the product in the cart you do notice the price matches :) seem strange to me...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No show at WWDC suggests to me a spec bump this year for the 2012 iMac. Probably along with spec bumps for the Mac Mini 2012.

I predict 2013 will be the redesigned iMac, and I think we can look to the Macbook Pro Retina for design cues. The redesign iMac will probably also drop the optical drive, be thinner, have more display versus bezel (similar to how the Thunderbolt Display looks), will feature "Retina" resolution, and might even borrow the new ventilation slits that the MBP Retina has on the thinner iMac's back/sides. I think they'll also finally offer SSDs too. If the Pro can do it, so can the iMac.

Pure speculation on my part.

Broooce

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
How is ML released? Is there usually an event as such or does it just appear in the store?

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
No show at WWDC suggests to me a spec bump this year for the 2012 iMac. Probably along with spec bumps for the Mac Mini 2012.

If only a spec bump in 2012, why haven't they released it? Do they imagine there's anyone out their who *prefers* USB2 over USB3?

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
3. Supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer).

Well, I have a 2009 Mac Mini and I'm sure most of us have something older than 2011. It seems likely that will need to have a new iMac and Mac Mini for the new OS, then. Good catch!

daveathome

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Devon England
I can't understand why any imac update was not mentioned, at least to keep folks like me who need to upgrade their machines from getting a new (cheaper) PC. If you watch the ML video it refers to it as the best Desktop os, so imac is a desktop right! I will delay buying until ML in July--with imac!!!
Very disapointing from Apple--why delay any imac news-weird

LFRG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Well, I have a 2009 Mac Mini and I'm sure most of us have something older than 2011. It seems likely that will need to have a new iMac and Mac Mini for the new OS, then. Good catch!

Yeah that's what I'm saying, why would they had to address that it would work on any iMac newer to the 2011 if it doesn't exists and specially on the ML page but I don't know I just wanted to share with you guys!

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
"or newer" for me only seems like a way to ensure that everything from a certain date will be supported. So it´s no indication of what is coming next. But of course, there will be a 2012 iMac, the only question remaining is when :)

OliOC

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
If only a spec bump in 2012, why haven't they released it? Do they imagine there's anyone out their who *prefers* USB2 over USB3?

I don't believe the new nvidia GPU's that are supposedly going to be used in the new machines are readily available. From what I've read it's June/July when they're available in volume - hence the delay in release.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I can't understand why any imac update was not mentioned, at least to keep folks like me who need to upgrade their machines from getting a new (cheaper) PC. If you watch the ML video it refers to it as the best Desktop os, so imac is a desktop right! I will delay buying until ML in July--with imac!!!
Very disapointing from Apple--why delay any imac news-weird

The delay is precisely so people DON'T stop buying the current models.

If Apple announced tomorrow that there would be a new iMac and a new Mac Mini on July 31 - their sales of current model iMacs and Mac Mini's would completely dry up. Nobody would buy the 2011 iMac when a new iMac is a month away.

They still have current model inventory in the system that they want to clear out BEFORE they make a refresh, even if it is just updated specs.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
No, this is just Apple's marketing language for saying there is no ML support for older models.

Obviously new models will be released - this is what a hardware manufacturer does - but the language does not hint at simultaneous arrival.

Compare with how it describes the power nap features of ML which only work with some hardware configurations "Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update"

LFRG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
The iMacs are definitively comming with Mountain Lion

Hey guys I was checking some past news from July last year and when the new Macbook Air and Mac Mini launched with Lion, one day after Apple Financial Conference there wasn't any great and shocking news about new hardware and they still came out so, I think that the new iMacs are definitively coming with ML, Apple can't keep any longer their flagship desktop PC with one year old hardware, so hopefully! (correct me if I'm wrong with any real indications last year of new hardware for Lion Release) !!! :):apple::)

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I was just checking Mountain Lion Features, especifically on the 200 new features and at the bottom of the page on 3 it says.

it's for Quicktime X new high performance H.264 encoding, but my point is that there isn't new model of the iMac so I think it's clear that ML will support a new iMac and it probably be when ML arrives, so Yes I think the 2012 iMac is coming when the ML release date gets closer.

I hope am not reading to much into lines... what do you think?

It just means that an iMac will be released at some point. Carry on , nothing to see here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.