I think heat on macbook retina really wears out the battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Aug 24, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

I compared my MacBook retina with someone I know who's had their MacBook retina for about the same time frame 6 months. Their battery life is still hovering around 8717 mAH with 12 cycles while mine is around 8450 mAH with 47 cycles. Granted my battery was also around 8700 mAH when I first got it but now its dropped a bit. I can't imagine why the difference is so significant. I do game a lot on windows bootcamp so maybe all the heat wears out the battery ?

2. simsaladimbamba

Or maybe you use the battery differently than your friend.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heat isn't going to significantly impact battery life. There are many factors that impact your battery life, and it is highly unlikely your workload and settings exactly match those of your friend. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the link simsaladimbamba posted for more information, including tips on how to maximize battery life.

Also, It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the Battery FAQ.

4. sarthak macrumors 6502

Coconut battery shows my design capacity at 8460mAh and current capacity (full charge) at 8310mAh.

This is with 27 cycles and battery temperature of 31.1* C and CPU temperatures hovering around the 75* C mark.

The rMBP 15 is connected to three external 24" 1080p monitors in portrait mode so it is using the NVIDIA card.