I think I finally want to get an Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by skiltrip, Jun 29, 2015.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I have a couple Roku's and a Google Chromecast in my house. Up until last fall, I was an Android user. I've since switched to iPhone and I've been a Mac user for quite a few years. I also do Apple IT support for a living, and have 4 iPads in the house. So I'm totally Apple'd out you could say.

The current price of the Apple TV is really appealing, especially the refurb being $59 (though an extra 10 bucks for a new one is no big difference really).

I also have an Apple Gift Card credit for about $35. This makes an Apple TV purchase sort of not much of an expense at all.

Is it worth it to be considering the current Apple TV at all, or do we seriously expect a new model in the fall with lots of new functionality, and still priced at $99?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If you already have a Chromecast, you're not likely to get much more out of the AppleTV. I have both (although I left the Chromecast at my mother's recently, and have only been using the ATV.)

Regardless of the price point, the real question is, what would you do with it that you can't already do? That being said, it would definitely be worth waiting for any announcement, because a new ATV will have to offer new features.

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Airplay from iPad/iPhone, iMovie Theater, iTunes movie rentals, Apple Music (when it comes to ATV), etc. Seems worth the money to me. But a $99 updated ATV does appeal to me a little more.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

If you can put the AppleTV to good use, with your credit and 24 bucks, it seems like a no-brainer to buy a refurb now. :)

5. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

If you have an extensive iTunes library, it's a no brainer to use the Apple TV. It integrates perfectly.

Or if you like iTunes enough to use it exclusively.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Wait until the new one comes out. The current one is tired. Interface sucks, no app store, limited functionality. A new one is definitely on the horizon. Will likely have an improved interface, hopefully app store functionality and more content.

7. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Tired of hearing that

8. scribble79 macrumors newbie

scribble79

I agree 100% percent

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

do you think you will want to watch a movie or TV show on your TV (rental or owned) from iTunes before the fall??

We have an AppleTV and use it a lot. granted the kids love the DisneyChannel and use that a lot but I also use the Smithsonian Channel and other channels. I watch Movies and TV Shows purchased on my TV that way.

If you think you will put it to use before the fall, then get it now. the money isn't too much and you will appreciate having it now. If you have more than 1 TV you can always buy a new one IF one comes and AND it has something more than the current model. and you can either sell the current one or use on another TV in the house.

10. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

The strange thing about the Apple TV Horizon, is that it's like the real one:

The more that we walk towards it, it keeps being over the next hill.

The sad thing about Apple TV is that there are about 5 million people with ATV3's that would go for the ATV4 on release day (I don't know about lining up at the stores... It's not that kind of thing), and we're kind of getting sick of waiting and looking like fools for hoping that the next "one more thing" will be a new ATV, so that when it finally gets released (after 3 years since the last one), it becomes more of a relief than excitement.

Of course, a day after it's released, we'll forget about all of this angst about the ATV4.

11. alexjholland macrumors 6502

I remember debating if I should buy an Apple TV when moving into my apartment, as the new model was to be released imminently.

That was 18 months ago.

12. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I am considering the HP steam Mini or something similar, only they are more expensive and windows is bit clunky on a TV but it has improved

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah but unfortunately it's true. Buying one now kind of seems like paying good money for antiquated technology, or at least a very antiquated interface. We know they're working on one. It HAS to be this year.

14. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Sure, but the OP provided a list of what he wanted the AppleTV for and the current model can do all these things, plus he can have it for only $24 out of pocket. :)

15. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Great point that I can't imagine why I didn't consider it. Of the two Rokus I have, one is a lesser model that I use in the kitchen.

I'd have absolutely no problem demoting the "old" Apple TV to another TV should I decide a new one is worth purchasing of it ever comes out.

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

at the price point get one use it till the new one is relased and move the old one to a different tv

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

This. If the damn thing ever gets here.

18. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

This isn't like the iPhones where we all know come September they will announce and launch them. that means in August, if you are thinking of an iPhone, wait.

This is the waiting game...if you see a need buy now (they aren't too expensive) and then upgrade should you then NEED the new release stuff, but the current model will still be working fine. I have a basement TV that I could always drop the cable box and just use the AppleTV...the TV is rarely used.

19. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

They will be rumors and announcements that a new Apple TV is defiantly coming out then some idiot at Re-Code will write a article and then there will be rumors of the Apple TV being delayed. Then CNET the night before will post a video outside where they are having the conference prediction and they will say no Apple TV yet again. Then the day of the conference it will be boring and the next big thing will be a new snoozing Apple Watch. Yuck.

Wait there is always 2016 rinse and repeat what I just said. 2017.

20. XR7CAT macrumors member

XR7CAT

Honestly, if you have a need for one and will use it, buy it. It will be a capable machine even after a "New" version is released.

21. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I use ATV but the only issue I have with it is it gets dark. You can see it going light to dark and sometimes it stays that way for a while. I've tried everything but it continues to do it. I'm hoping the new ATV will correct this problem.

It's like someone is turning a brightness setting up and down.

22. Attack Eagle macrumors newbie

Attack Eagle

I have bought two ATV 3 in the last 5 months...

One to "smarten up" a new dumb tv, and the other to quit using GoogleTV on my other tv after I got spoiled by the Apple TV.
    I should also mention that I now use plex, so both Apple TV are basically what I watch 90% of TV, movies, etc. on.
    The only feature I would want in a new Apple TV is a built in plex app, but it isn't hard for even someone who knows zip about terminal to follow directions and get plex connect working to hijack the trailers app to use plex

23. littlepooch21 macrumors regular

if it's only going to cost you $24 then just get one. if a new one comes out this fall you can always repurpose the current one.

24. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I believe a new one will be out in the Fall, but I would still go ahead and get one if I was in your shoes.

25. RenoG macrumors 65816

Yeah exactly so what would he be really waiting for? Just go get it OP.