I think I have the solution to good battery life (Written guide included)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lion007, Oct 1, 2013.

1. lion007, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

lion007 macrumors newbie

Hi there everyone,

I managed just over 7 hours usage, and a total of 25 hours standby, with 25% battery remaining on my iPhone 5S (Wifi plus 4G - Facebook, Whatsapp, instagram, snap chat, safari web browsing, lots of texts, about 30mins of calls; iCloud email on Push, 2 email accounts fetching every hour, background app refresh on for Snapchat, Find my Friends, and Weather).

I have also been able to return figures of about 7 hours usage and 26 hours standby on an iPhone 5 (iCloud email on push, 3 other emails fetching every hour, twitter, photo taking, photo editing, Vine, Youtube, whatsapp, viber, texting, background app refresh on for Find my Friends and Weather).

I had experimented a lot over the last few days and have worked out what to do.

You do NOT need to turn off notifications - only for those apps you do not wish to use. Leave location services running, and once again - only disable for those that you do not require it. Otherwise, there is no harm in having apps you use notify you and use your location if it requires it.

Same goes for Background App Refresh (there aren't many apps that do background refreshing as yet).

Here is my guide on better battery life:
    1. If you are backing up to iCloud, Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage - Under Backups you should have your iPhone listed. Tap on it, then "Delete backup". This is important as it clears data that could be causing bugs.
    2. Connect your phone to iTunes if such a facility is available to you via USB cable. Press on the menubar on your computer for iTunes "view", "show sidebar". Right click your device, and hit "transfer purchases". This will sync all your apps to your computer.
    3. If you're still connected to iTunes, on the summary page of your phone, hit "Restore" (If you have iCloud on your device activated, make sure to go to the Find my iPhone settings and turn it off so that your phone can be restored). This will download the software (if it hasn't already) and restore your phone. If you are not connected to iTunes, on your phone go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings. WARNING : You will lose your data, but will have your contacts/reminders/notes/photos (via photo stream) backed up thanks to iCloud.
    4. If connected to iTunes, select "Setup as new iPhone". If you are not connected to iTunes, your phone will appear at the "Hello" screen once resetting.
    5. Swipe through all the questions - Enable location services, Use Siri, enter your iCloud details, use find my iPhone, etc.
    6. if you are connected to iTunes, You can then click on "apps" via the tabs in iTunes and click on "install" for each app you wish to install. Then hit sync. Your apps will be reinstalled but without any backed up data. If you haven't used iTunes, Just go to the App Store, Tap on Updates, then on Purchases, and re-download Apps from here.
    7. You can let your phone backup to iCloud now - that is ok. This is because all the buggy information stored in the apps has now been removed, and your phone will behave much much better.
    8. Fully charge your phone. Even when it reaches 100%, leave it for an extra 10 minutes.
    9. Lastly, if you use Facebook, every time you use it, make sure to double tap the home button and close it by swiping up. You will still receive notifications, however this seems to cause battery drain in the background (despite having no option in Background App Refresh). I shall conduct a battery test with this running without closing and return with my results.

10. Congratulations. Fingers crossed my guide results in helping you and increasing your battery life to respectable levels once again. Let me know how it goes. So far I have done this to my 5S, a friend's 4S, and 3 other iPhone 5's with flawless results.

This guide is for those on iOS 7 who would like to try an alternative approach to gain better battery life. Hope it helps if you give it a go :)

Also, for those that might not know: "Usage" refers to the total time the phone is active (including doing things in the background when you're not playing with it). "Standby" refers to the total time the phone has been inactive AND also the usage time - that is, the total time the phone has been running.

Attached Files:

2. verwon, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

So……you're basically claiming the improve battery life by losing everything in your phone?

You do realize that some of us have app data, messages and etc. that we've had running archives of for years, right?

There is no way anyone should have to give up all of their stuff to try to save battery life.

And the only way this would be effective is if someone has an app that's acting up and causing severe battery drain, which is a very rare occurrence, due to Apple's strict requirements.

And, if it would be due to an app, checking what one has running at the time and just removing the apps in question, then adding back one at a time, until the culprit is found, would make much more sense….especially compared to losing everything.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm getting the same if not better battery life than you are doing the same things on my jailbroken iPhone 5.

Up at 5:45am and usually in bed by midnight. That's at least 18 hours of use and I went to bed last night with about 40% left.

Note that all the things you detail will cause me to lose my jailbreak and force me to update to iOS 7. Two things I don't wish to do. Next, the last time I synced with iTunes was over four or five months ago. I don't need to, I'm jailbroken.

4. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep.

That is exactly what I am claiming.

I have tried the checking one app at a time method - nothing worked for me.

This solution has worked for me, and if one is willing to start fresh in the quest for better battery life, that is their decision.

----------

That is pretty good. However, I am not forcing you to update or telling you that you have to. It is your choice to remain jailbroken and on iOS 6.

This guide and solution was provided for those that are having issues on iOS 7 and would like to try a fresh approach.

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I give you credit for not trying to tell everyone to turn everything off and basically just not be able to use their phone to save battery life, as everyone else has done.

However, I just don't think this is a viable solution for everyone.

As you said, it is a choice and may work for some that really find themselves with awful battery life and needing to do something, but otherwise, optimizing some settings is most likely the best thing to try first.

6. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I shutoff whatever I don't use/need. I keep my screen brightness moderate. Never have battery life issues.

Phones weren't designed to be used 24/7. If you use your phone heavily for more than 4 hours, expect a charge soon.

7. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers!

8. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Well, mines full of my old stuff... nothing at all deactivated - all services / settings on full...

Am currently at 19hours 9 minutes standby and 2 hours 15 minutes usage (twitter/email mainly today) so granted fairly light ...

But battery is currently sitting at 81%

No issues for me on battery

9. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good approach. However, I like to be able to use my phone to its full potential - as long as it brings out between 7-8 hours usage time before I need to hit the charger, I am happy. Currently, it is doing superbly.

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

That's what a Mophie is for!!! :D

I am a very heavy phone user, so I know better than to expect my phone to last for days. I just carry a charger and use a Mophie.

11. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is pretty awesome! You are one of the lucky ones :)

12. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

So keeping Location based iAds on is bringing your phone to full potential? I rather keep this location service off.

----------

Agreed - Although I use the external battery instead of the case. I don't want my iPhone to be any bigger.

13. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

My guide was simply to explain a general way for an alternative to achieving good battery life. My privacy settings, and what others may choose is purely personal. I do myself have this setting left on - however, I have limited Ad tracking.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think that might be a part of my battery longevity too. I have a few tweaks that close apps automatically and I can use an Activator action if I want to do it manually all at once.

But beyond that I've set my screen brightness to a minimum and then turned on AutoBrightness. AutoBrightness tries to stay as close to the lowest setting you set (set it when it's off) while adjusting for conditions. Combined with f.lux this has probably saved me a bit.

But yeah, your battery takes a hit if you use it heavily for a while.

The days of flip phone battery life of 3 or 4 days are gone. I was rudely awakened to that four years ago when I entered the smartphone market. Consequently, my phones serve as my nightstand clocks and alarm clocks and are plugged in each night.

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

After using one of the Android phones, the HTC Evo 4G for about a year, before Sprint finally got the iPhone, even with the Mophie case, my iPhone feels tiny!! LOL

That sucker was big to begin with, I have long fingers, but my hand and wrist would still hurt after a day of using it a lot. Never had that problem with my iPhones, regardless of what case I've used.

16. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I have a better guide.

1. Hold down Wake/Sleep Button for 2 Secs
    2. A message appears: "Slide to turn off"
    3. Slide right, done!

I'm currently testing how long the battery lasts that way. Only can't look up percentages for obvious reasons.

17. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol!

18. pudcraft macrumors regular

Here is my battery life without doing any tricky stuff like listed here. The only thing I did was turned off auto-brightness. I'm sure if I turn off location services it would also highly improve.

I don't think it's very necessary...

[​IMG]

19. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I struggle to understand how people get such bad battery life.

I always have between 7 and 9 hours on my 5 and 5s with around 1 to 1 and half days standby. The only time it drops to 5 - 6 hours is when i'm using my phone heavily with 3G and full brightness. Sometimes it drops to 4 hours if i use full brightness and GPS and/or hotspot via wifi/bluetooth. I find this all totally acceptable. I also use background app refresh but i do turn off frequent locations as i'm not sure how this benefits me.

I thought it was common sense to regularly kill apps. I double click the home button and swipe away apps probably every few days.

If you are worried about buggy apps you could just delete all the third party stuff perhaps?

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This reminds me of an ex-, who was obsessed about saving gas, forced me to turn off the AC even in the height of summer. Roll down the window! said such ex-. ;)

21. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Your battery life is quite decent, and that's great news!

All the apps installed on my device (and my friends) is your standard popular third party apps which should not be buggy. However, due to the nature of software and various factors, battery life can be adversely effected. Unfortunately, a lot of users experience angst when updating to a new version of iOS due to compatibility issues or bugs. Hence a fresh install usually solves these issues at hand - which has so far worked really well for me.

22. Dented macrumors 6502a

I'm routinely getting similar battery life, without having done any of this. My phone's still full of data from my iPhone 3G bought in 2008, and every phone since. I have 200+ apps installed too.

All I did was give IOS7 a few days to settle down, without going mad switching everything off etc. I have location services, including frequent locations running. I've been a little selective which apps get to use background refresh, but I've kept the feature on - as the OP says few apps support it yet anyway.

Honestly I don't think IOS 7 has any problem with battery life, if anything it's much better than 6 once it's bedded in.

23. lion007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, you're part of that lucky group! During my final university days, I was a Product Training Manager at Apple - fresh installs usually solved the battery life issue at hand for several customers that would make appointments for battery life issues at the Genius Bar, thus those experiencing it on iOS 7 (myself included) went the fresh install route after a week of tolerating sub par battery performance.

It's awesome that you're device is working great - continue to enjoy it, and I hope it continues to work well in future iOS upgrades too :)

----------

If I don't respond to anyone soon, it's because I have a busy working lifestyle.

I only signed up to MacRumors to post some of my insider Apple knowledge on how to take advantage of an alternative for those experiencing battery life issues.

If you're experiencing good battery life already, that's great! If you are suffering sub par battery performance, my guide is on hand if you choose to go that route.

Good luck to all and enjoy your iphones :)

24. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

which reason is that? :D

----------

I somewhat wish there was a reserve battery, of at least 15 minutes, to make emergency calls.

I understand that devices used frequently and with such capability in their small form factor can't last all day. However, when I'm going out my late night walk/run, I'd like to know I can call 911 if something happens.

25. Jzo macrumors regular

My secret to "better battery life": Buy more cables.

I keep a couple at home, one in my car, one at work, and a $20 external battery if I think I won't be close to my home, car, or work for a while. I never really need to worry about my battery.