Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaliopex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2017
Hi, so I'm trying to figure out why my internet connection keeps cutting out multiple times in the span of 10 minutes. I ran a diagnostic test and it said my current code is US, and all the routers around me have a country code of CA. I live in Canada, shouldn't my router country code be the same? Why is it US? Wouldn't that automatically cause issues for us?

We're with Rogers right now and our router model is a Hitron.

Is this normal? Or should I talk to Rogers about this?

Thanks,
kali

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It may be illegal to run with the US code (I don't know whether this is a real danger in Canada). In any case, hook up with an Ethernet cable and see whether the issue goes away. If not, then the underlying issue isn't due to your Wi-Fi.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi, so I'm trying to figure out why my internet connection keeps cutting out multiple times in the span of 10 minutes. I ran a diagnostic test and it said my current code is US, and all the routers around me have a country code of CA. I live in Canada, shouldn't my router country code be the same? Why is it US? Wouldn't that automatically cause issues for us?

We're with Rogers right now and our router model is a Hitron.

Is this normal? Or should I talk to Rogers about this?

Thanks,
kali

Your router was probably supplied from the USA, but it should make no practical difference due to the telcos in canada effectively using the same standards as the USA. Which is why the phone code is 01 for USA and Canada.
What is more likely is that your network connection is having weather problems, or has a faulty connecting washer from corrosion. Get your repair technician to test at your home entry point, and at the street connecting to your line.

DCRF

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I am having this problem. It says that "the following nearby networks conflict with your country code (XO):
xfinity (24:a0...) - US"
and a couple of other routers that also all say US
I am in the US far from any border.
I ran a scan for nearby routers, just to be sure. They are all US. But I am still getting the country code error.
As an extra piece of info, my non mac laptop is streaming just fine and super fast.
Yes I did try powering down all devices except my mac to reduce competition for bandwidth or signal. It made no difference. Problem happens in different locations, not just at home and work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.