I Think I Listen To My Music Too Loudly...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Nov 2, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've realized 2 things:

1. When I'm driving I put my music on at the loudest setting

2. The same goes with the headphones and my iPod

-

To the point where i'm at work asking for people to speak more loudly.
    To the point where i'm w/ friends asking them to speak up.

-

Help me.

-

I'm smart, obviously the music is too loud for when I pick up the iPod or am in my car...

-

But you know how these dilemmas go.

Help me.

(Cries)

- SadDude20 :(

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Ah.

lol.

Yes, I'm drunk.

But.

Cliffnotes:I do listen to my music too loudly at all times of the day, to the point where I ask others to speak loudly. For the longest time i've convinced myself its people around me that speak too softly, and I speak in a loud tone, but that may not really be the case.

-

Aside: I just got your pun. Well gone Chundles. But really, help me. Help me forum. Help me. :p

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

[​IMG]

Seriously, you will pay for the loud music later in life.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Im starting to freak out. I was at the post office today and the woman behind the counter had a hearing aid on and she couldnt have been past 36.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Turn down the volume then?

A good test of hearing is the high frequency test. Google it and see if you can hear them without earphones on.

Oh and according to my biology professor, you can't regain your hearing after you lose some so you should really turn it down.

What I do in my car is start at the lowest sound setting and increase it by 5. (My volume goes up to 36). So I'm only at 6. While that may sound low coming from full volume, you can "train" your ear to listen at that volume.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Your drunk and stoned posts...well, let's just say if it quacks like a Waloshin...

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

People are born deaf or with other hearing problems. She's probably not wearing the hearing aid because she had her iPod volume up too high :rolleyes:

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Although constantly high volumes can, over time, damage or even completely 'break' (so to speak!) your hearing. I'd just turn it do until you have to strain to hear it, and then that'll be the lowest you can have it at.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think what needs to be addressed is the consistent posting from this member during the very early hours of the morning wherein he claims to be drunk and/or high.

OP: Your issues are a plenty and should be addresed in this order:
    1. Serious substance abuse
    2. Constant desire to seek attention from random strangers without rhyme or reason
    3. Continual involvement in activities that are neither wise nor age appropriate
    4. Volume of music and/or television is too loud

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can get your car stereo stolen like me:(. Then a couple years later when you finally get a simple radio for the car the habit will be broken.

On a more serious note put away the iPod, disable the car stereo (remove it or at least pull the fuse) and keep the TV off (or at least a minimal volume) for a month. That should be enough time to break the habit and you will find much lower volumes to be more suitable.

Oh and if passengers wince when you turn on the car stereo, it is too loud!

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

In terms of your hearing, check to make sure you don't have excess ear wax pushed up near your eardrum. That could affect your hearing.

As far as your iPod goes, set the volume lock on your iPod so that you don't bust your hearing.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You really should be very careful with your ears. By the time you are 50, you are going to have lost a fairly significant amount of your hearing no matter what you do, and you are going to speed that up by listening to music too loud - especially on things like iPod earbuds.

Your ears are more sensitive at midrange frequencies (where the human voice lies), which just so happens to be where iPod earbuds are also very loud. Link

Turning iPod earbuds up is almost one of the worst things you can do to your hearing.

We are going to be part of the deaf generation sadly - most clubs are far too loud, most people seem to listen to their iPods far too loud and many also listen to their stereos far too loud.

If you're struggling to hear the iPod earbuds unless you're at around 70-80% volume on an iPhone with modern recordings, then you really should look at getting some earbuds which isolate better (or the safest option, headphones).

I've stopped using my earbuds and only use closed-back headphones now, even when out and about - much better in almost every way!

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This solution requires common sence. Leave it to me.

1. Get sober.
    2. Turn your music down wherever you are.

I think I'm a genius.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This x 1000.

15. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

This is great advice, I hadn't thought about a hearing test online. I'll go ahead and do that now.

Well its like midnight-ish to 2am when I started this post. The attention I seek is more intended for my morning-self waking up to some replies; really to read while I'm checking email.

As for the substance abuse I'm not too big of a fan of drinking yet admittedly it comes my way somewhat frequently at these tender early 20's. Weed would be the ideal thing to do, seeing as it provides no hangover and have gone months on end without hitting it.......

The point is to stop making me feel bad Jessica,:eek:.

16. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I think it's pretty obvious what the problem is. I'm not sure anybody on here can help you with that.

17. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Great read. Thank you.

I'm all about Plato.

18. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

A Hearing Test is a nice start.

But if you want to stop needing loud music, alcohol or whatever drugs to make you feel better....

Maybe you should try to come to grips with whatever is making you feel bad in the first place. You probably already know what it is.
    If you're feeling bad about yourself for whatever reason, Stop! Address the concern, do SOMETHING now! Life is too short to waste it craving oblivion.

If it's boredom, get busy. Do something. Learn something. Maybe learn a new language? Take Martial Arts classes? Study electronics? Flying Lessons? Something challenging is a good idea. Or, maybe just take a Helicopter Ride!

If it's weight, get busy. Maybe learn to dance? The exercise actually makes you less hungry than just sitting at the computer or TV.

If it's loss of a loved one, move on. No one that loved you would want you miserable.

Good Luck,

Keri

19. wpotere Guest

Welcome to the Internet... Try a therapist if you want to feel better. Nobody here can help you with that, only you can fix yourself.

20. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I really don't know why I'm getting bitten here.

Tooting my horn for a quick sec; I'm a GTD power user, where OmniFocus has been my main tool for almost the past 2 years. In fact, i'm currently at the library performing my Weekly Review.

I don't think i'm sad or depressed at all. Admittedly there are times when I wish circumstances would change, but aside I know everything is only temporary. Aside from struggling in my final Statistics course this fall all is dandy. I hang out with friends where we probably watch Terminator a few too many times. I try to knock out a book every week but with the curse of math that rate has slowed down. I just finished the God Delusion which was an incredible read and am currently in chapter 3 of Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. In fact, last night I was reading his book while an episode of No Reservations came on; a perfect combo in my opinion.

I started this thread last night when after I bookmarked my last page and put on the iPod. It was a simple concern, but a concern nonetheless. Driving to this library I took the advice of a post here suggesting I train my ears once again and start off at a low level. Which is great advice considering today I feel a lot more calibrated regarding the volume of my voice. As it all intertwines the next book on my someday/maybe list is to real a book on Vocalization and Awareness. I don't know why I capitalized those 2 words just now.

In terms of drugs and alcohol, last night I discovered the bottle we began on Halloween night and poured a small bit next to my readings. Whenever i compare my drinking alongside w/ people i used to know back in high school I consider myself a saint. Concerning weed, years ago I used to smoke all the time. From dusk till dawn. Somehow I managed to keep my GPA above 3.5 but it got stressful, so I stopped. Then about a year ago I began purchasing a bit of weed here and there, but not to the extent as how it was 4 years ago. 4 years ago I used to have a bong and a girlfriend. A year ago I just had weed and an occasional F-buddy. Today whenever a friend offers to smoke me out they'll see me reach in to grab my iPod Touch, check tomorrow's calendar and scour through my next actions list in OmniFocus.
    Weed is fine, but it depends on the reason you're using it. If it's to escape then obviously bad, but if I smoke to throw some steaks on the grill then..:D.

Finally, I've been fortunate enough to not have any close relative to pass way (yet). My grandma was diagnosed w/ cancer over a year ago and since they became consciously aware she wasn't going to be with us forever. Just last weekend was her 66th bday so I took her to the Natural History Museum. Considering she is hugely religious I thought she wouldn't find it interesting but there we were in front of australopithecus afarensis and she was in awe. We even watch movies once a week. Tomorrow we're gonna watch National Lampoons European Vacation. She loves the Vacation movies.

I'm not sad or depressed. Yes i'm struggling to get all the angles right but what 22 yr old isn't?

I didn't start this thread as save me kind of a thread, just of a simple concern that fluttered through my mind as I was listening to The Decemberists a bit too loudly last night.

:rolleyes:

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What I thought when I read this was "Again?".

22. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Go get tested. You need a baseline to see if there is more damage. Good luck.

23. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Oh!

Nevermind then. ;)

But you want to take it easy on the loud music. It will ruin your ears.

My father lost most of his hearing from shooting guns a lot when he was young. (that was his hobby... sharpshooting)
    Later in life, he could barely hear anything, had incredibly loud Tinnitus (ringing) and could barely stand up sometimes.

I know!
    Wear hearing protectors! :D (those big orange earmuff things)

You might want to take the earbuds out first though.

Have Fun,
    Keri

24. barziv27 macrumors newbie

man you really should try to get less with the hard volume hearing problems are for life. :(