I think I looked my hard drive... need to unlook it.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maclearner, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Maclearner macrumors newbie

I don't know how to explain this, but after spending all day searching for answers on internet, I found someone who had the same "brilliant" idea than me and this is how he explained it...

I WAS "JUST" MESSING AROUND WITH SOME SETTINGS ON MY MAC. I RIGHT CLICKED ON MY MACBOOK HARD DRIVE ICON IN THE FINDER, AND HIT "MORE INFO". FROM THIER, I CHECKED THE "LOCK" CHECKBOX, AND THE IN THE LISTBOX BELOW THAT THIER WERE 3 NAMES, I HIT THE LITTLE LOCK ICON ON THE BOTTOM TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE LISTBOX, AND CLICKED THE "EVERYONE" TAB AND A LIST OF OPTIONS CAME UP, I DONT REMEBER THE ONES OTHER THAN THE ONE I CLICKED, WHICH SAID "BLOCK ACCESS". NOT KNOWING OF WHAT CAN REALLY HAPPEN. SHUT IT DOWN, AND THEN LATER TURNED IT ON. IT STARTED UP NORMAL SO FAR, GRAY SCREEN, APPLE SYMBOL, LITTLE CIRCLE OF LINES SHOWING THAT ITS LOADING, THEN IT GOES TO A BLUE SCREEN, AND THE LITTLE CIRCLE OF LINES STAYED THIER, AND IT WOULD STAY AT THIS SCREEN. MY GUESS IS THAT I BLOCKED ACCESS TO MY INTERNAL HARD DRIVE AND NOW IT WONT BOOT UP, BUT AT THE TIME IS SEEMED LIKE I WAS DENYING ACCESS TO ONLY THE PEOPLE THAT WERE NOT LOGGED IN.

On the same post it said to check the Disk Utility and repair Disk Permissions... I tried this and it didn't work.
    I'm desperate. I don't know what else to try. 2 days ago I restarted my Mac and I really don't want to do that again... any idea/suggestion is more than welcome!
    Cheers!

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Try booting from the original install disc. Turn on the computer, insert the disc, then turn off your computer. Boot your computer whilst holding the C key, and it should load up from the operating system found on the install disc. Once you are in the system, go back to More Info on your MacHD, go down to the sharing and permissions bit, and click the lock in the corner to allow yourself access. Enter your password and you should be able to edit the settings. Click the bit where it says 'No Access' and change it to Read Only. System and Admin should both be set to Read & Write, with Everyone set to Read Only. This should fix the problem you've encountered.

In future, don't mess about with things when you have no idea what they do.

I made this mistake when I was a kid and exploded an expensive computer. I've learnt from my mistake. So should you.

3. Maclearner thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't work....

I don't find the option you are giving me. it doesn't appear More Info on my MacHD.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You've asked it to block EVERYONE, which means, it's blocked, to everyone, as far as I'm aware, apart from wiping the partition, there's not a lot you can now do. You might be able to remove the hard drive, plug it in using an external caddy up to another mac and change the permissions that way.

Really wasn't a great move to be honest.

5. Maclearner thread starter macrumors newbie

Any more ideas, please?!

:( I really don't know what else could I do. it's really frustrating. i tried all, nothing works!

6. Maclearner thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that... trust me i do.

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Surely the problem is that since it's blocked, it can't load up the operating system on the hard drive. But if he loads up the operating system off the disk, he should at least be able to see the hard drive, and change the setting that way. It sounds viable to me, just doesn't sound like the OP did what I outlined.

I have no idea what you are talking about... specify what instructions you followed, which ones worked, which ones didn't, and maybe we can continue troubleshooting. Do you have your original install discs for your machine?

8. Maclearner thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok,
    This is what I tried so far...
    1.- with the install cd 1 I when to Disk Utility and try to repair the permissions... it didn't let me saying it had to quit it.
    2.- verify the disk in case something was damaged... nothing damaged.
    3.- try to find if it was a way to change that setting, but the options on the bar menu don't show anything such as more info, i only have get info and i can't unlock anything.
    4.- restart it serveral times with and without the cd.

it's like if i had put a massive wall in between my hard drive and my computer...!

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999