I think I may be on my way to landing my first graphic design job!

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ghall, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yesterday I posted an ad looking for anyone who needed some graphic design work. Just now I got a response, so I'm pretty excited. How should I approach this? How to I check if this is legit? Thanks for the help.

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Congrats on the job prospects.

In my experience make sure you get everything in writing in some sort of contract (it makes thing easy) and negotiate what the project entails (include time, costs, etc).

NO!SPEC is also a very good organisation there for educating people in graphic design work, I wish I had been sent the link when I was at uni it would have saved a lot of time and energy.

3. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

You know, I have thought long and hard on the idea of No Spec!, and their process. I must say I honestly feel it is a 2 edged sword. In my opinion, proper protection can be set up with a basic contract and a reasonable kill fee. Straight up, "Pay me my normal fee or move along." only serves to handicap a designer in the world of corporate players. Yes, a company might have millions of dollars or be gaining millions of dollars from your work, what makes that your business? As an art director I make sure that all contracts include a kill fee that I have the option of invoking after 3 revisions that is equal to 25% of the original fee. Honestly tho, I feel invoking a strictly no spec outlook is only going to drive companies to look overseas. Actually, I don't have to "feel" that way, I know it to be true because I've done it before to ensure a project comes in under-budget and on time.

When I freelance I do entertain the idea of a spec job, but my contracts specifically states several things ...

1. If the kill fee is invoked it is legally the same as the company telling me I have a right to use their trademarks in my portfolio for a undefined period of time. If I get nothing else besides the kill fee, at least I get the right to use real company names in my portfolio.

2. A kill fee of a min. of 25% of the original estimate/budget. Able to be invoked after 3 revisions (by myself, or my client)

3.The client has no rights to ask for, or maintain on file, digital and/or hard copies of the presented work.

4. My logo must be allowed on the item if for public consumption (ie. catalog, packaging, etc.) Failure to comply incurs a penalty of up to 25% of the original estimate/budget payable within 7 days of being notified in writing.

5. (now this is the one I hate, and I usually DON'T, but I include it to protect myself) If the client requests editable files they are asking for a copyright release and it is subject to a 40% fee of the original estimate/budget if requested after approval/use of provided graphics. If they want this up front I include it in the estimate. But it usually amounts to 100.00-500.00 depending on the size of the job.

This contract was written by myself when I was just a wee designer, and Im reading some new books on the subject so I'll probably have my lawyer rework it some in the near future. It's probably nowhere near iron-clad. I might be a stickler on somethings too, I even have acceptable contact methods and times in the contract. Had those added when I had a night owl client who felt it OK to call at 3am.