I think I might have gotten a phony/counterfeit Griffin Reveal Frame

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by scott99, Nov 13, 2010.

1. scott99, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

scott99 macrumors 6502a

I really liked the Case-Mate Hula. I had the black one, and loved it because it realy showed off the iPhone's steel sides, and since itwas black, almost looked naked, a flawless look. The one problem I had was that the black rubber was wearing off, almost flaking off.

So I decided to get the Griffin Reveal Frame. As written about here, it looks almost exactly like the Case-Mate Hula and also like the Scosche version. But, I read the black part is a stronger rubber, or maybe even plastic.

I purchased the Griffen Reveal Frame on Amazon.com, from a trusted Amazon seller. The picture looked just like the Case-Mate/Scosche version. I received it in the mail yesterday. It came in what looked like a normal Griffin case. Then when I opened it up, I noticed a lot of differences.

1) Unlike the pics I've seen, instead of just a cutout for the silent button, there's one large cutout for the silent button AND the volume buttons. In the pic, the volume buttons are covered up by black volume buttons.

2) The bottom, by the 30 pin dock, there is a huge opening, no worries about using 3rd party chargers here. The opening goes from speaker to speaker.

3) The top sleep button is not covered up by a black button, it's a small cutout that exposes it.

4) The cutout for the headphone jack is quite large.

5) On the sides, where the case is clear, there are lines running up the sides of both sides instead of completely clear.

This is th link used when I bought this case. Even the picture does not look like the case I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Reveal-Frame-iPhone-Blk-GB01825/dp/B0045WZ0T0/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img

The interesting thing is, the case I got seems to fix all of the prior complaints about the Griffin Reveal Frame. Some people said the volume buttons were too hard to press (resolved, no buttons covering them up), and the cutouts for the headphone and 30 pin connector were too small (resolved, both big openings). I'm wondering if I got a counterfeit, or maybe they have improved the case after hearing complaints. The box it came in, also had Japanese writing on it, so I'm wondering if I possibly got the Asian version.

Either way, I'm loving this case way more than the Case-Mate Hula. It seems like a much better quality made case, almost like a stronger bumper. Very stiff polyurethane. The black parts aren't cheap rubber, seems similar to the Apple bumper. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

can u post some pics?

cause the one there is 21.99 free shipping

and the one i bought yesterday at bestbuy was like 31.99

i might return this one

the one u got sounds liek a better deal

but i wanna see the sides of yours, u sayd theres a line across?

post some pics if u can

if u dont have a camera take the iphone off the case and use that

3. Neoaucourant macrumors member

Post some pics if you can.

By the way Che, you can get them at Target for 24.99

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

No wonder the shelfs where full in bestbuy

5. Lolento macrumors newbie

Can you check your receipt to see if it says "Reveal Frame" or "Elan Frame"?

Sounded like you bought the "Elan Frame".

Seriously though, nobody would counterfeit Griffin stuff because in order to make money off counterfeit, you need to be able to sell in volume....LOL

6. HDVU macrumors newbie

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

[​IMG]

this case here is white

the OP did not say the whole case was white

scott99 needs to post some pics,he might have the new black version

8. scott99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They must have updated it for both the white and black one. My black one has the same exact (one) cutout for the volume and silent buttons. It also has the same lines down the sides as the pic on the website. Bravo Griffin ! You heard the complaints and fixed the case. I will say, I like this one 100% more than the Case-Mate Hula. Also, I highly reccomend the seller who sold it to me. $21.99 and free shipping was a great deal. They even are looking into my counterfeit claim, though I'm sure they'll find it's just a case of Griffin revising the case. Good catch HDVU !

9. Lolento macrumors newbie

is the dock side openning bigger than the original version? Can it accomodate tv out cables?

10. scott99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's way bigger, it goes from speaker to speaker.

11. Che Castro macrumors 603

12. gnychis macrumors 6502

13. subtleknife macrumors newbie

It would be cool to see some pictures of this revised version, especially the wider openings.

14. Lolento macrumors newbie

yep, like to know whether it will fit av cables which has bigger plugs.

15. scott99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry guys, been really busy. The bottom opening is really long, pretty much from speaker to speaker (the inside corners of the speakers). I'll try to take some pics tonight. I'm really loving this case right now. Very solid feeling bumper, very stiff rubber and a tight fit. I like it way better than my Apple Bumper and Case-Mate Hula, no comparison. Going to stay with this case, and my full body shield (Clear-Coat on the sides and back, Invisibleshield on the front), as my main combo. Let's just say, I'd be shocked if anyone didn't like the new version, and the person who sold it to me is very reputable, they confirmed that my case is 100% authentic. Also, $22.00 with free shipping is a steal. His link on Amazon is on this thread.

16. Che Castro macrumors 603

17. princesultan macrumors regular

18. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

19. Pared macrumors 65816

That's one of the funniest pictures I've seen. I'm stealing this!

20. Che Castro macrumors 603

one of the best tv shows too

The Wire