I think I need to vaporize every sign of dust...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HowBoutIt?, Jun 15, 2011.

1. HowBoutIt? macrumors member

my CPU temp has got to be way high. anybody know how to check the CPU temp? I think I need to get some advice on cleaning out all the dust and lint that has found its way into my MBP. the environment where the notebook is most of the time has so much dust and crap that the blower forces out of the vents. My CPU is still alive but the notebook gets really hot when I watch some videos on websites like the news mostly.

any idea (even know I am not supposed to remove the back of this unibody MBP) will a can of compressed air do it? what area should I try to target with a light spray of compressed air.

is it possible to reset the CPU? I talked to the genius bar and they did not sound too excited to try and clean out some of the crap I know id in the notebook. I look at the top of the desks on day, clean them off, and the next day you can use your finger to trace your name.

Please Help

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Blowing at your MBP's inside with a can of compressed air should never be done, air is pressurized and so it blows in too strong.

I have never heard about 'CPU resetting', but if you want to know your temperatures, you can either download iStat or smcFanControl.

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

occasionally you will have to open up your mbp to spray the fans out but thats all don't spray anything else.

i too wipe down my desk daily and the top of the mbp if you keep it closed when your not using it and dont let dust build up on your desk it wont be an issue for quite some time.

but check your temps with either program mentioned above and let us know what they are.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OK, back up a step. Why do you think your "CPU temp has got to be way high"? Unless you're experiencing catastrophic failure, your temps are in the normal range, because the computer will shut off if the temperature exceeds the CPU's limit for any length of time.

jW

5. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

yea, that is what I hope for-the computer will shut off if the…

I know the "normal" temp of the keyboard, surrounding unibody casing, underside of the notebook. However, just recently, due to a collection of a large amount of dust/lint in the desks and room I teach in. My MBP is open and in use 12 hours of the day. It recently gets so hot it ***** down, until it cools down, the fans are not working as before, intuition that something is wrong. I do my best to keep it closed when not in use but because it is used so much, the amount of time it is shut is short. I have been on maintaince's case to clean the blowers/filters (if there are any) that feed the classroom I am in all day.

the air pressure can be controlled by the force put on the can by the finger. there are few, from what I can see, dust balls in the fan, but the compressed air and the fans are what I am too nervous to do too much to. If I can break the Apple recommendation not to remove the back or else the warranty is void, I think I could get most of the dust/lint out.

The CPU gets too hot when some videos are plated, the fans kick in but it gets to hot for them to work right, then the machine shiest down until it cools down. The Genius bar will not take me seriously so I need to either do something myself or find a place that will look in the machine.

this is something that is not get the attention it deserves. Although this pat year I have had to deal with a lot more dust/lint from the vents, the majority of "heat" issues that you read about on apple.com forums/discussions sound to me like it is caused from a build up of plain old dust in areas where it should not be and causes problems with the CPU/Fans.

Maybe I am wrong. if it was not for all the dust I see on the desk the next morning after I clean a few off as a test and the flare up of my allergies, I would not have even thought that my MBP needed to be cleaned out with compressed air. Not compressed air to blow out vents or blow up your tires, but a light flow of steady air to try and clean out the inside passageways. Maybe I should go back to the OR and get out of the classroom.