I Think I'm Done Here in the U.S. ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Turkish, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Bye :)

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Bye! :)

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Religious nuts. :rolleyes: Anyway, I thought state and religion were meant to be kept separate. Then again, a Christian prayer each day and pleading with the Amighty to 'Bless America' isn't exactly keeping them separate.

4. Queso macrumors G4

"Abomination!!! Abomination!!!" If only the Sergeant At Arms had been asked to open fire :rolleyes:

5. mpw Guest

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is anyone surprised? It's no secret that the religious right doesn't believe in freedom or equal treatment for anyone who disagrees with them. It's not as if they even try to hide it.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if i could afford it, i'd be moving to the UK right now.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think there is a better term than the "religious right" to call these people. "christian right" may be more appropriate. I don't know any Buddhists who vote conservative.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

how about christian terrorists?

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I too have wondered at inconsistencies in how religion is inserted into government, and everyday life. It is in the Pledge of Allegiance, which is mandatory at many venues. There are numerous morning prayers in government, and also the private, secular sector.

I personally do not get upset about it, as long as it is primarily ceremonial and optional for the individual.

One thing is certain; we have far too many Christian whackos’ running loose without supervision.

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

While I recognise your concern and sympathise with your position, I kind of wish intelligent people like yourself would stay in the US :eek: Just think...for every person like you who leaves, you're increasing the proportion of crazy bastards in the US. Crazy bastards elect crazy governments, and these crazy governments have nuclear weapons and one heck of an army. :eek:

Where do you think you'll go?

12. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know about intelligent, but I just don't get why people feel the need to smear their personal dogma and spirituality all over everyone else.

I was chatting with a friend the other night (online) and he said "I went to a religious group the other night and I know how you feel about that and I don't really care."

I responded: "Uh, what do you want me to say?" It was like he was trying to pick a fight... and that's not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong - I have a few really tight friends that are very deep in their faith, but it comes up so rarely in our interactions.

Just keep your personal BS to yourself. I couldn't care less if you love Jesus, but I'm so tired of these people interjecting themselves all over our society.

To answer your question, I'd move to England pretty readily. They don't seem so wrapped up in this religion BS, but someone correct me if my visual of this is wrong.

At the end of the day, I guess going to church is cheaper than therapy when you're effed up.

13. Queso macrumors G4

No that's right. Fred Phelps would have a seizure if he came over here. The church is at best a social centre for pensioners, at worst empty and covered in cobwebs.

Here's something funny too. The most popular "Christian" name in the UK last year was Mohammed :D
    (Note : That bit's not true, but it's a good wind up)

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Correct. On the whole, no one gives a crap :D

Twunting religion, GRRRrrrrrr!

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or move to Canada. We have religious people, but generally, they're certainly not as nutters. :)

16. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Sort of like the secular left?

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please- take that garbage somewhere else. Is anyone passing laws telling people that they can't be religious or go to church?

Or better yet- is anyone passing laws against marriage for Christians?

19. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Well actually, yes. Why can't kids say "Merry Christmas" in schools that have no problem allowing muslim kids special prayer rooms and even leading them in prayers?

20. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

No child left behind. :D:p

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've never heard of this. Link please. And are they dragging the kids out in handcuffs if they dare to pray? I live in Chicago and I can guarantee you, that wouldn't fly here. And this town is pretty liberal.

22. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Yes, there are laws against polygamy! And yet that is a core belief for some Christian groups, not to mention muslims. (not that i support it).

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

how widespread is this "problem"?

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Dragging kids out in hadcuffs stopped being good PR for the police a long time ago.

Here is one example, in a San Diego school, Muslim children are allowed to pray and be led in prayer, but that same right is denied Christians and Jews.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070702-9999-1n2prayer.html

I am glad Il shows more fairness.