iPad mini I think I'm going to continuously be frustrated by my ipad, not sure what to do

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 26, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I have a 16gb iPad mini with only around 1.8gb left. But whenever I plug it into iTunes I see Other keeps ballooning bigger and bigger. Every day I'm losing .10gb here .10gb there. Then when I back it up the files are like 700mb even though nothing in the backup list shows being very big. What do I do?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Have a good backup. Mac/PC and external disk drive.
    Use cloud or streaming services to access media that you would not frequently need to access.
    Other options are to get a bigger one, delete any apps that you don't really use as always you can redownload them from the App Store when needed.

3. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But think about what I'm saying though, that yellow "Other" in iTunes is eventually going to fill up the whole iPad.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

16gb is just way too small.

This "other" size can and will fluctuate. It is just part of how the iOS system works.

5. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No kidding it's too small.

But why does it flucuate, inflate, then not deflate when it doesn't need the files anymore? Like how can an operating system let 5gb-10gb of other just pile up and not doing anything about it?

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have no idea why but it does and has for years. It is simply the way iOS works. It is not going to change.

7. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Buy an iPad with more storage space and be happy. Free Space anxiety is an serious but curable affliction.

8. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't afford a bigger spaced iPad. The next size up would have been like $125 more I think.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Given that we don't know exactly what you are doing we can't really say it is the operating system. Could be the apps you are using. many social media apps have been plagued by bugs that didn't purge downloaded materials consistently for example.

Also have you ever tried force quitting your apps or even turning off the iPad. Many folks forget that the whole "have you tried turning it off" is because it fixes a ton of crap

10. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

do you have iMessage enabled? Are you storing emails on your iPad?

I find that picture and video attachments take up a huge part of the "other" space on my idevices...

try removing your mail accounts and deleting all your iMessage conversations regularly...

11. Angriff macrumors member

In iOS 8 you can set Messages to automatically delete anything older than 1 year or 30 days, so you don't even have to worry about manually pruning it.

12. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Good to know, but He may be running an older version?

13. thejoshhoward macrumors member

So, I just ran into the "other" problem yesterday. In my case, it was on a 128GB iPad where the "other" had ballooned to almost 70GB for no apparent reason. Well, after some research, the reason turned out to be that I had unplugged it during a sync and the temporary files iTunes writes to the iPad simply remained there even though the content wasn't there.

To fix, I just made sure I had an iCloud backup of everything, then reset my iPad from settings and restored from iCloud, not the computer. Fixed it right up and everything is back to normal.

Hope that helps. I'm writing in a hurry and hope I got the right details in there. Good luck!

14. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

I've got an iPad Air, Ive got an app called Battery Doctor HD, it helps recharge your battery, but it also has a memory booster and cache cleaner.

The 1st time I ran the cleaner it cleaned all the apps caches and retrieved around 700 MB of storage. I run it every now and then and it always manages to clean at least 100 MB of storage.

It probably cleans out app data as well, so be careful and make sure you backup everything before running it the 1st time in case you lose something unexpected.

I personally have never had a problem with it but you can never be too careful so if using it, again, make sure you do a backup.

Hopefully this will help with your problem.