I think I've found a new and better way of jailbreaking iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, Feb 27, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I've gone back to using my original iPhone I purchased on launch day back in August of 2006 (as my iP4 is in for a simple repair). I am now using it daily, and the single feature I miss the most is jailbreak.

It has the 3.1.3 firmware and I know there is a way of rolling back the firmware to 3.1.2 and jailbreaking it but honestly, the instructions are a bit confusing and it seems like no matter what I couldn't get redsn0w 9.3 to load and that's required as part of that jailbreaking scheme.

In tinkering around I discovered if there was a way I could use iTunes 9.0, I could then jailbreak with Spirit. Such as easy solution as Spirit takes seconds to jailbreak and is so incredibly easy. The issue there is my Mac is loaded with the latest iTunes.

I googled around and located a website called, "wwwoldapps.com" and found iTunes 9.0 download on it. So here is what I did. My wife's computer- an HP running Windows, doesn't have iTunes installed. So I installed iTunes 9.0 via this website I found onto it and when I USB plugged in my iPhone, Spirit opened and within a couple of clicks I was jailbroken. Cydia is even automatically installed! I then disconnected from her computer and plugged my iPhone into my iTunes.

First thing I did (after doing the happy dance) was download MyWi as I already had it purchased for my iP4 and although tethering is a bit slower because of the EDGE network, can now access the web via my iPhone to my iPad.

So, for those of you on 3.1.3 with your older iPhones here is a quick and friendly way of jailbreaking somewhat effortlessly and certainly painlessly.

I'm going to kick myself if somehow this is already old news on these forums because I searched and searched and couldn't locate anything to lead me in the direction I ended up taking!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Ready for an even bigger kick? You could have gone to jailbreakme.com and just done that. No computer required.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Why on earth you need to download itune 9.3? update version of Itunes still work to restore original phone with that firmware.

I bet you are on official AT&T, because once you restore the phone, it shows up with emergency screen and you need to by pass this with AT&T sim, then use spirit.

Why don't you just use blackra1n to jailbreak it. it is very simple as well and don't even need to by pass that emergency screen.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Sadly, no. Works only with iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 or early iPod. Not the iPhone 2G though.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Happily yes, I've jailbroken a few iPhone 2Gs with jailbreakme.com..

6. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

It's the 3.1.3 firmware that is the show stopper. That and AT&T as my carrier.

I tried the jailbreakme.com website on my iPhone 2G (with the above restrictions) and couldn't get it to take. I could have if only my firmware was 3.1.2 or lesser.

For an original iPhone with the updated 3.1.3 firmware in play my method or redsn0w seemed the only way to go. Even the jailbreakme website states not available on the iPhone 2G with the 3.1.3 firmware. (The iPod yes, the iPhone, no.)

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Say what you want. I know I've used jailbreakme.com on an iPhone 2G running 3.1.3 and it worked with no problem.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

This is impossible. I just restore a 2G iphone 3 days ago. My Itunes version is 10.1.2.17 and it works fine.