I think my 64GB iPhone 4S just became more valuable!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark Booth, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Since the 32GB and 64GB iPhone 4S models are no longer going to be available....

And since there are some people that will need to stick with the 30-pin dock connector for the foreseeable future....

It seems to me the used value of the 32GB and 64GB models will actually go up over the next few months as supplies (of used ones) start to dry up.

Let's face it, the 16GB iPhone 4S is just too small for some.

A couple of weeks ago, Gazelle was offering $351 for a 64GB 4S in perfect condition. Now Gazelle is offering $334. It will be interesting to see what Gazelle is offering in 6 months.

Mark

2. erzeszut macrumors regular

Doubtful. There's going to be a glut of them on the market next week, and that will continue as AT&T users are able to upgrade over the next several months. There'll be a steady supply. My guess is that last weeks price is as good as it gets.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Lol.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Your iPhone 4S is by no means an antique, nor brand new sealed in a box.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I can see where the demand might go up for people with nice cars and such with the 30 pin connector. I'd be surprised if it actually went up by much though.

Unlock it and sell it on CL for $600.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

6. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I'm not the least bit interested in selling it because I'm not getting the iPhone 5.

We'll see how it goes. I've bookmarked this topic so I can, hopefully, remember to return to it and post what Gazelle is offering in 6 months.

Mark

7. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

... whatever you have to think to make yourself feel better for not being able to get the iPhone 5. I get it..

8. megapopular macrumors 6502a

how about...

Your idea doesn't apply to the 720p version of the Apple TV, does it? It's selling for quite a higher amount then the 1080p version solely for it's ability to be jailbroken a certain way. The OP may be right!! Feel free to check the prices on eBay!

9. AAPLinc, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I don't think my 4S is so yesterday. It's plenty fast and pretty current to today's standards still.

I actually don't mind having an older generation of a phone, I think it's kind of cool. I would be upgrading if I was eligible for one. But I like to keep my phones for 2 years.

10. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Get over yourself, please. Not getting the iPhone 5 is my choice, not a matter of "not being able to". I've owned every iPhone to-date and I would be getting the iPhone 5 IF it still had the 30-pin dock connector.

Mark

11. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Sorry I upset you.

12. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I got 425 on eBay for mine today... Good luck.

I saw one three days before the announcement go for 455.. Prices are depreciating quickly!

13. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Yes ignorance does upset people.

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Really? Then I guess you'll never get another iPhone. They had to change the dock connector eventually.

15. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I understand that. And I'm sure I will eventually get another iPhone. But not the iPhone 5 generation.

I currently use my iPhone (regularly) with four docking solutions. Two in cars, and two in my home. Using an adapter is only feasible with one of the four docks (which isn't really a dock, just a 30-pin cable). That's the one in my 2008 Infiniti. Apple's Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable would work there.

But the A/V receiver in my home theater setup and my portable boom box would both have to be replaced to be feasible with the new Lightning connector. An adapter simply would not work.

Even then, I'd still consider the iPhone 5. But the one place I most frequently connect my iPhone to a dock is in my other car, a 2001 Mazda Miata. I custom-designed a docking solution for my Miata.

[​IMG]

It works beautifully, and positions the iPhone so that I can easily use it during trips my wife and I take in the Miata (we've been all over the country in that little car).

Yes, I could modify my custom installation and replace the Dension cradle with a different kind of cradle & cable arrangement that features a Lightning connector. Eventually, I'm sure I'll do that. But it won't happen anytime soon. I don't mind waiting for the next generation iPhone and, by then, I'm sure there will be new docking solutions that I might adapt for my needs.

Mark

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I guess I can understand that. Kind of a non-issue for me since I don't drive. It could be smart for people like you to wait a year or so, after new accessories have been out for awhile.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I have a dock with a 30 pin in my 2006 Miata. But I usually just use BT in the end. (ordered the BT module for my Denison)

18. takasugi macrumors regular

Sounds like it's valuable to you. Hopefully you can find someone to sell it to when you upgrade who places the same value on the 30 pin connector.

19. aleni macrumors 68020

yeah it becomes a rare treasure! u can sell it for a price of 2 or 3 iPhone 5.

i'd keep it myself if i were u.

20. blunti macrumors 6502a

This.

21. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I just bought 10x 32GB and 64GB 4Ss today at the Apple store. Kids are going to college!!

22. xerenthar macrumors 6502

Wait...really? My 720p is gathering dust!

23. taedouni macrumors 65816

I am sure that people will want the iPhone 4S because you can do an untethered jailbreak on it.

24. james92se macrumors 6502a

I read through your entire write-up. Really nice work, I love to see stuff done right.

I built similar setups a couple years back in a couple of my cars. Over the past year or so, I've been migrating over to bluetooth, and I've gotta say I don't miss the old setups at all. :cool:

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Miata?