I think my graphics card is failing (8600M GT)!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stovetop6872, Oct 19, 2008.

1. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Well today I was editing some RAW files in iPhoto '08 today on my 2.2 GHz SR MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and 128MB 8600M GT. It froze up a couple of times for a brief couple of seconds, and then one time, it wouldn't respond afterwards.

I managed to get a screen shot of the not so bad frozen period, which is attached.

I bought this in very early February of this year, so I guess I have about 1 year and 4 months until Apple won't accept the graphic card problems. I have a 4 year warranty through BestBuy that is accidental, but I want to take this into Apple because it is within the year.

What should I do? Will Apple replace the graphics card? Thanks for all of the input!

Attached Files:

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Called Apple Support

Last week I got myself a refurbished MBP 2.5 with the 8600MGT Nvidia card... I called Apple Support - even when I havent got hte MBP yet. Seems they have no idea on the probability of the number of cards breaking down or when they would, or what triggers it. There are plenty of opinions out ther: some saying it's ALL cards are faulty and WILL break down sooner or later. Others saying it's just some of them.

They sent me this link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/15565.html ... I guess you should contact support and your local service shop.

I'm a bit worried about this issue, but the $1,000 I saved, the two Firewire ports, the applecare and extended warranty on this issue makes me stand by the reburbished MBP... I got it only for outside work and travelling: heavy work I don on my 24"iMac, so if it does break down, it can take some time in the service shop, no big problem. Spending 2000-2500 on a new MBP and then keeping it in a bag under my desk 70% of the time is a bigger waste... anyone here thinks I made the wrong choice?

cheers!

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

at least you have until at least june of next year for the warranty:D

4. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, February of 2010! Thanks, though!

Any other advice?

5. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Did Apple replace the GPU? Thanks!

6. Baffles macrumors regular

They put a new logic board (motherboard) in, with a new faulty GPU. So they basically just reset the clock in the ticking timebomb. :p

I'm more interested on if they restart the 2 year timer for the warranty when they replace the board. Seems like they should.

7. tbae12 macrumors member

apple said that they would fix it as long as it's been within two years after purchased, even if it's not under applecare

8. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I got a new logic board, and it shows I have a GeForce 8600M GT. This was 2 weeks ago. I had the blocky graphics, then my whole computer died. Now I don't have blocky graphics, but all my repair sheet said was new logic board.

9. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Definitely take it in to the Apple Store, and whatever happens, please keep us posted.

10. dab3 macrumors newbie

Since Apple solder's its laptop graphic cards to the logic board, they need to replace the whole board in order to change the faulty card.

11. Resolution macrumors newbie

Processor too. I still can't see the "logic" in that from a cost perspective.

12. Baffles macrumors regular

Yes, but if the GPU dies after, say, 1 year and 6 months, does the 2 years start over, or are you **** out of luck if it dies again in 5 months? I feel they should warranty the GPU for another 2 years after replacing it.

It's much cheaper and design effective to do it this way. Most of the time stuff like CPU or GPU doesn't fail, so why go to all the expense of making it removable.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

No, they state explicitly that the warranty is linked to the purchase date of the machine as a whole, not to the newest part inside of it.

14. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone else have experience with this issue? Thanks!

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

dude...do a search. there are tons of topics on here about it.