I "think" my IMAC Leopard 10.5.8 has been hacked.What can I do if it is?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Maraxx, May 19, 2010.

1. Maraxx macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have a 24" Aluminum IMAC Leopard 10.5.8 and recently responded to a known hacker on Facebook, which is all this guy neefds to hack into a computer. Firstly, is there anyway to prove or disprove the concern about being hacked. If I am hacked -- what can I do?
    Apple tech support told me that if everything is turned off in "sharing" in system preferences than I am okay and have no reason for concern. Any ideas?
    Thank you.

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I don't think you know what hacking is.
    Have you noticed any odd behavior? Extra processes running?
    Just because you talked to a "hacker" on facebook doesn't mean he has access to your system.

If you're really paranoid, just do a clean re-install of OS X.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Change your password. Having your password guessed isn't "hacking", it's taking advantage of users that choose weak passwords.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

To echo the above, responding to someone on Facebook is not a method by which you can be hacked. If you visited a link or downloaded software from the individual then you may have cause for concern.

If you merely responded, there is nothing to worry about. Whoever told you that all the hacker needed was for you to respond, please tell that individual they are incorrect so they do not further this bogus information.

5. Maraxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Concern over hacked IMAC

Thank you all very much for your information. Yes, I did have inaccurate information. I was told he could get my IP address and could hack from there.
    Thanks for relieving my mind. It is much appreciated.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're issued a dynamic IP address from your internet service provider you should be able to reset your modem and obtain a new one.

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Beyond the IP address issue, if you are on a network (like Internet --> Modem --> Router --> to your Mac) it would be even harder to route to your pc on the intranet portion of the network.

Also, change your admin password on your iMac, make sure it is strong.

Strong passwords will use both UPPER and lower case letters, numbers (1234567890), and symbols e.g.: []{}|-_#!, will be more than 8 characters in length and will not use any word found in a dictionary (even part of a word within the password if possible).

Best,

Brian

8. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Sounds like someone phished your facebook account.