Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Hi all

I got my iPod touch on Thursday and I spent the weekend using it normally. Today I decided to jailbreak it.

I decided to try touchFree (via BootCamp on my Intel iMac) to jailbreak it, so I restored the iPod to the factory settings (recovery mode -> Recover using iTunes), installed FW3 and started the jailbreak process. After I completed Step 1 (access http://jailbreak.toc2rta.com/), I clicked on "Continue to Step 2", and then touchFree froze. I had to force quit it. After that, I restored the iPt and tried again. Same problem. I tried it at least 3 times and I just couldn't get it to work.

I then resorted to iJailbreak. I downloaded the most current version (0.3) and started the process. I accessed the TIFF exploit website and after Safari had crashed, I told iJailbreak it should start doing its thing (I accepted its offer to install the iPhone apps). I then got this error message:

picture1oh4.png

I restored and tried iJailbreak a few more times, always getting the same error. I tried re-downloading the .zip file and using my mother's Mac Mini, again with no luck (same error message).

What am I doing wrong? I really want to jailbreak my iPt, but it seems it just won't let me. :(Any ideas?

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I would advise that you restore your iPod...then try again using iJailBreak if you have not tried that method yet.

As I said, I did that several times on two different Macs, always restoring before attempting the Jailbreak. Thoughts?:(

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
try this
Thanks to hdm of Metasploit, we are now armed with the knowledge of how to custom-craft our own exploit tiffs. His groundwork with reliable code execution has made better jailbreaks possible. He is especially to be admired for the pedagogical detail that allows everyone to have a better understanding of his techniques and the internals of the device.

Based upon his work, I have created a tiff that entirely jailbreaks the iPod, installs Installer.app and OpenSSH, along with an easy on/off program that lets you switch SSH/SFTP/SCP on or off for both security and battery saving purposes.

SummerBoard is no longer installed since the latest version from Installer.app works fine and requires no tinkering.

You do need a relatively stable wi-fi connection for this, since your iPod will be download a couple of megabytes of information.

So, there are now two steps, one of which is optional:

1. Restore and/or update your iPod/iPhone to a fresh copy of the 1.1.1 firmware. This is probably not necessary if you have not messed around with your iPod too much.
2. In Safari on your iPod, visit http://www.slovix.com/touchfree/jb/

Safari will crash after a moment. Nothing will appear to happen for about 30 seconds (so be patient). Then, the iPod will automatically restart and you will be jailbroken!

It's quite beautiful, in my opinion, because it's easy and platform-independent (doesn't matter if you're running Mac or PC).

This will probably be the simplest way.... until Apple fixes the TIFF security hole, so enjoy while you can.

I'll make the source code available to anyone who contacts me. It's pretty trivial to set up mirrors.

Oh, and P.S.: A shout-out and props to rezn who was the first to get something like this working. My implementation is entirely independent and is neater (since it uses HTTP instead of requiring raw TCP and socat) IMHO, but he was the first, and his success prodded me to make my own.

kandrew999

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
how to jailbreak

hi u dont know be but i saw ur cry out to the world(if that's what u wanna call it) but i felt sorry for u since i literally restored my ipod touch five times today after jailbrerak 1.1.1 so here is how you do it:

****BEFORE ANYTHING GO TO UR IPOD AND SETTINGS>GENERAL>ABOUT>GO DOWN TO VERSION IF ITS 1.1.1 OR 1.1.1(3A110a) THEN SKIP DOWN UNTIL AFTER ITUNES (SCROLL DOWN)

IF not:
-go to these websites...
>>>http://rapidshare.com/files/84859979/AutoDown.zip.html
>>>http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S0UTN1R5

download both things (1st) click free then itll take u to a screen where something is loading and then u hav to type what they give u...do it.

***BTW u need something called WinZIP to extract files...(Download if needed)

(2nd) its hard to see but there is something at the top that u have 2 type then wait 45 seconds on the next page to download)

after all that is done open the "AutoDown" thing and open down which will download something to your ipod/iphone, which should be connected.
***Before this terminate everything with ipod or itunes in the name from Task Manager>Processes EXCEPT Apple Mobile Device

so after the program is already downloaded into ur ipod/ iphone open itunes and hold Shift while you press Restore... then open up :"iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore"

hit enter and it will restore back to 1.1.1

*****START HERE IF YOU WHERE ALREADY IN 1.1.1 OR 1.1.1(3A100a)

go to http://www.jailbreakme.com on your ipod/iphone and scroll down to install AppSnap
it will exit out and start downloading something...thats good!

when its done ur jailbroken:):
***Go to Installer and go down to sources to download Community sources 1st then its all yours!!!!

if u hav any questions then my email is xdragonridahx@yahoo.com (i go on everyday)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.