iPad I think my r mini has a yellowish screen but I really need your opinion

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Here are some pics compared to a 3rd gen, both at the same brightness level and both with increase contrast on.

Yesterday

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Austin TX
It does look yellow. What brightness level is it at? I'll set my rmini to the same brightness and compare your photo on my mbp.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Mine looks pure white but I recall on one of the iPhone versions having the same issue and it was because the yellowing was from the glue between the LCD and the touch panel not drying yet before it shipped and it would go away over time.

Or it's just a bad panel.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
That is pretty yellow. Maybe you can cross your fingers and hope it goes away.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
The hint of yellow in the wallpaper background of your ipad looks more natural than your ipad 3. Maybe it's just a warmer screen on your mini.
Hint of yellow? Wow my monitor must be showing it much differently than yours. Unless you all are joking here.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would say that's too yellow for my taste if it looks like that in person. The rMini I bought had a very slight yellow tint on the bottom of the screen, but the rest was fairly white.

It should be noted that the iPad 3 shown does not have a uniform display, and all those complaining about that Air's uneven display shouldn't act like it's something new. Some have noted that it is nothing new, however. ;)

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Hint of yellow? Wow my monitor must be showing it much differently than yours. Unless you all are joking here.
I'm talking about the 2nd pic with the springboard screen, the wallpaper where it's all blue. And there is yellow in the stars. The all white shots look yellow, But in the stars the ipad 3 looks blown out while there is yellow on the rMini, which looks like how it looks on mine. My whites are white on my screen though.

MBAir 2012

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Same boat

That does look yellow to me, whether you find it acceptable and keep it is up to you.

I ended up with 2 units and another family member bought 1 so 3 in total. ALL of them had the yellow tint to a certain degree. Compared it to the iPad Mini 1 and you can totally see the difference. Whats the point of having a Retina screen but the quality is worse than the previous model? The worst one had a yellow band along the bottom of the screen, how it past QC I'll never know. Unacceptable for a premium device of this cost. I returned 1 but not sure what I'm going to do with the other one, I don't like returning items over and over again :(

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
It is definitely yellow. Not just a warmer tone, but yellow when it's not supposed to be.

Apple's QC has gone quite downhill. Some people here seem to not want to accept it. :)rolleyes:)

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
It is definitely yellow. Not just a warmer tone, but yellow when it's not supposed to be.

Apple's QC has gone quite downhill. Some people here seem to not want to accept it. :)rolleyes:)
The thing is that I have a problem with my eyes when it comes to colors, basically I don't see the differences in colors as good as other people, even thought I can see the pixels in r mini, my eyes sucks when it comes to colors.

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Did you measure it with a professional color reader or other external monitor calibration unit?

It's just that people are claiming it is excessively yellow but the other screen sure looks excessively blue to my untrained eye.

I only rely on my professional equipment to see what Kelvin temperature the screen has but the recent trend is that iPads have upwards of 7000K instead of 6500K.

I think what's more important in these small screens is uniformity. It looks even.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
That yellow looks like the mini I just picked up, expect mine is yellow on the bottom - like old paper. Needless to say it will be returned. Quality control.

Dlanod

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Popped into the local Apple Store at lunch today and all the rMini's on display had horrid patchy yellow screens. Aside from a few that have slipped through the net, I think this device is a fail for anyone who wants an evenly backlit screen.

I can cope with bleed around the edges. Large patches of yellow are not acceptable.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Popped into the local Apple Store at lunch today and all the rMini's on display had horrid patchy yellow screens. Aside from a few that have slipped through the net, I think this device is a fail for anyone who wants an evenly backlit screen.

I can cope with bleed around the edges. Large patches of yellow are not acceptable.
Yes, the retina mini seems to be a total flop, you're right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.