iPad I think my r mini has a yellowish screen but I really need your opinion

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Here are some pics compared to a 3rd gen, both at the same brightness level and both with increase contrast on.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Yesterday macrumors newbie

It does look yellow. What brightness level is it at? I'll set my rmini to the same brightness and compare your photo on my mbp.

3. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Max it!

4. Yesterday macrumors newbie

Oh ok. My rmini is basically pure white on max brightness

5. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Arghhh, still not gonna change my mini r, I love it.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Mine looks pure white but I recall on one of the iPhone versions having the same issue and it was because the yellowing was from the glue between the LCD and the touch panel not drying yet before it shipped and it would go away over time.

Or it's just a bad panel.

7. JGWolven macrumors regular

That is pretty yellow. Maybe you can cross your fingers and hope it goes away.

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

The hint of yellow in the wallpaper background of your ipad looks more natural than your ipad 3. Maybe it's just a warmer screen on your mini.

9. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Hint of yellow? Wow my monitor must be showing it much differently than yours. Unless you all are joking here.

10. JGWolven macrumors regular

Yeah. That's no hint. It stands out as much as piss in snow.

11. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I would say that's too yellow for my taste if it looks like that in person. The rMini I bought had a very slight yellow tint on the bottom of the screen, but the rest was fairly white.

It should be noted that the iPad 3 shown does not have a uniform display, and all those complaining about that Air's uneven display shouldn't act like it's something new. Some have noted that it is nothing new, however. ;)

12. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm talking about the 2nd pic with the springboard screen, the wallpaper where it's all blue. And there is yellow in the stars. The all white shots look yellow, But in the stars the ipad 3 looks blown out while there is yellow on the rMini, which looks like how it looks on mine. My whites are white on my screen though.

15. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

his rmini is clearly bad, and yet apple fanboi here still find reasons to defend it. love it

16. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Don't care, I am still gonna keep it, I noticed the yellow after I took the pictures.

17. MBAir 2012 macrumors newbie

Same boat

That does look yellow to me, whether you find it acceptable and keep it is up to you.

I ended up with 2 units and another family member bought 1 so 3 in total. ALL of them had the yellow tint to a certain degree. Compared it to the iPad Mini 1 and you can totally see the difference. Whats the point of having a Retina screen but the quality is worse than the previous model? The worst one had a yellow band along the bottom of the screen, how it past QC I'll never know. Unacceptable for a premium device of this cost. I returned 1 but not sure what I'm going to do with the other one, I don't like returning items over and over again :(

18. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

It is definitely yellow. Not just a warmer tone, but yellow when it's not supposed to be.

Apple's QC has gone quite downhill. Some people here seem to not want to accept it. :)rolleyes:)

19. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

The thing is that I have a problem with my eyes when it comes to colors, basically I don't see the differences in colors as good as other people, even thought I can see the pixels in r mini, my eyes sucks when it comes to colors.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

21. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Did you measure it with a professional color reader or other external monitor calibration unit?

It's just that people are claiming it is excessively yellow but the other screen sure looks excessively blue to my untrained eye.

I only rely on my professional equipment to see what Kelvin temperature the screen has but the recent trend is that iPads have upwards of 7000K instead of 6500K.

I think what's more important in these small screens is uniformity. It looks even.

22. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

That yellow looks like the mini I just picked up, expect mine is yellow on the bottom - like old paper. Needless to say it will be returned. Quality control.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My rMini does not exhibit that issue - I'd return it

24. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Popped into the local Apple Store at lunch today and all the rMini's on display had horrid patchy yellow screens. Aside from a few that have slipped through the net, I think this device is a fail for anyone who wants an evenly backlit screen.

I can cope with bleed around the edges. Large patches of yellow are not acceptable.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, the retina mini seems to be a total flop, you're right.