I think my speaker is blown out, apple rep tells me it's my music...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spazma7ik, Sep 25, 2009.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

OK, so I know for a fact that my external speaker on my 3G touch is blown, and has been since I got it. I listen to ones in the store and at full blast, no sound check, the music isn't extremely distorted like on mine, I mean it kinda gets a bit distorted on the displays, but mine is unbearable.

I showed it to a genius bar guy a week ago or so and he was saying it's the type of music I listen to.. But I mean it only doesn't extremely distort if I'm listening to a really soft song, even then it's noticeable though. I will admit that I wasn't aggressive at all though, and I kinda just said yeah I guess it's fine... And said Id give it a while and see what happens.

But it's really annoying me... Should I trade it in? Also, will I get a new one or a refurb if I do this? And if I have a warranty at best buy, will exchanging at apple void my warranty at best buy since it's not the same touch when I exchange it?

2. tooz macrumors 6502

load some classical music on when you see another genius. I cant imagine much of the classical music could blow a speaker

3. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

What the genius says is cobblers. A blown speaker, if caused by distortion, is when an amp is too weedy to drive the speaker and distorts. That is, it is the distortion caused by amp/speaker mismatch that will cause a speaker to blow, NOT distortion inherent in the music itself.

In fact, you should be able to play a recording of pure distortion at full blast if you wished, with no problems.

4. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

If you have had it for more than 2 weeks (14 days) then you get a refurb. Thats Apple's policy. Personally, load some classical music and play it. If it sounds like utter crap and sounds like someone plugged Beethoven into a metal amp, then your speaker is blown.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You need to check with Best Buy and see what they say. I'm guessing you need to deal with them in order to maintain the warranty you have with them. I haven't read the brochure on it to know what the "rules" are with it either, so your best bet is to call or go in to BB and ask.

6. overcast macrumors 6502a

Classical musical has some of the highest recorded sound levels. Without an adequate amp, you can certainly ruin speakers with classical music.

7. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Just an aside, if you do decide to turn it in, there's nothing wrong with Apple refurbs. They replaced my 1G iPod Nano, and I was very happy with it for years.

It was the same quality as the original, new model. I actually just gave it to a buddy of mine.

Also, the Apple store "Genius" you talked to seems to be the norm for the Apple store--techs who will make up some lame excuse on the spot if they don't know the answer. Total bunk.

Have you called 1-800-SOS-APPL yet? They might be willing to help you.

8. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Apple Refurbs are great. I just got my iMac less than an hour ago, and it looks and feels like its brand new. :D:D

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I want a flippin Imac....!

10. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

I love my iMac. way better then any PC I've ever had.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Ahhh!! That's next on my wishlist...if not an iMac...then a Mac Pro:p

12. clookie macrumors newbie

try this

When you're in itunes, go to your music and right click a song and click on "get info." check the tab that has options or advanced or something and see if the volume slider bar is at "0" or "100." if you have it above "0" that may be causing the distortion.

13. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Classical music has some of the largest dynamic range of recorded music, not necessarily the highest sound levels. It is nowhere near as highly compressed as something like Metallica.