I think one of the RAM screws is stripped

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capitanbuzo, Jan 25, 2008.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

When trying to upgrade the RAM in my new MBP, I could not get one of the screws off. I applied very little pressure but I could not get it to budge. When I looked at the screw, It appeared to be stripped. What should I do to get this screw off? Will this void the warranty?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It would. You are supposed to use 000 screwdrivers.

3. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I just got my whole logic board replaced by apple due to a problem with the screw guide and when i got the computer back the screw was stripped (by the apple people) so I haven't been able to even get the ram door off to make sure they did the repair...i haven't really tried yet, but it's pretty retarded that they would tighten it so much that it would strip it right after they just fixed a problem related to the ram door screw/screw guide.

4. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

The screw still has some threads left. I am going to try the 000 phillips screwdriver and see what happens. Otherwise it is off to the Apple Store.

5. bmat macrumors 6502

My RAM screws were super tight as well -- yes, I used a high quality electronics screwdriver. It took more effort and force than I should have been required to use.

6. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

I found my smaler screwdrivers and was able to get it off. Thanks for the help.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

For general knowledge this is pronounced: Triple-Aught Screwdriver :)