I think people need to give up hope about Verizon, T-Mobile, etc

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessica Lares, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't think anyone in the US besides AT&T will EVER get the iPhone. I don't think Verizon even had talks in the first place, they just want to be in the whole discussion in case just MAYBE one day it'll happen.

I don't think people understand that these places like T-Mobile and Verizon AREN'T ready for the iPhone. Yes, you can get them on their servers, but you're doing more harm than good. AT&T knows that there'll be 5MB+ worth of data passing through a single MMS, but at a place like T-Mobile, it's like sending 5 texts. Why are people so selfish about getting a better deal for the iPhone when soon enough you'll get kicked out for 1) Using a phone that wasn't originally provided by the carrier, 2) hogging the 3G network with 1GB worth of data everyday. People that were using an iPhone under the Sidekick plan eventually got their data switched off, don't think it wouldn't happen with the other carriers.

The iPhone is MADE for the internet, the sharing of pictures, the saving a buck by having visual voicemail, and the desktop like internet. Android, Blackberry, Windows are just catching up with that. They are however very much still business phones. There is a reason why AT&T was preferred over the others. They can handle the demand, and while you may THINK Verizon can too, just remember that out of the MILLIONS of iPhones out there, there is probably only 1-5 in each city that are unlocked to them. What happens when 5 million show up? You have the same problems and/or worse of that of AT&T. Heck, the T-Mobile have a lot of downtime, they just wouldn't work if everyone had an iPhone with them.

People are asking too much of their carriers to even support the iPhone at this point. I mean, there's a good reason why you can't get it as a GoPhone upfront anymore. On most phones, the G3 kicks in once you open the browser, the iPhone one is on at ALL times if you're on the go, standby G3 on it's own is just a mess - at least I'd believe it to be.

Until Apple actually starts to WORK with these providers to establish the basic capabilities of the phone, it's just talk and nothing else.

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

I was unable to follow any thread of logic in your post.:eek:

Verizon and T-Mobile are quite experienced at handling data. If and when they get the iPhone, likely last quarter of this year of first quarter of next year, they'll likely handle the data load just fine.

3. Jordan6 macrumors regular

I was wit ya until you said Verizon cant handle all the traffic it would receive from iPhone. I dont think T-mobile could handle it AT ALL. As far as negotiations, who knows.

4. thetexan macrumors 6502a

According to analysts, AT&T is actually in third place when it comes to raw data usage. Verizon is in first, with Sprint in second. People just seem to forget about aircards and Mifi devices both of which trumps the iPhone in data usage. AT&T has activated very few aircards in comparison to Verizon and Sprint.

Verizon is already handling more data than AT&T, and doing it much better.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

6. bahooki macrumors regular

Anyone that thinks ATT's many failures are due simply to so many iPhones being on their network is deluded. ATT stinks because ATT stinks. It doesnt get anymore complex than that. And as others said, Verizon handles infinitely more traffic than ATT and on top of that offers BETTER SERVICE.

7. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Put it straightforward - Nexus One was released to most carriers on day one because they all knew in advanced and made changes to make it more stable. It wasn't in conjunction with another programs like iTunes, so it made it less of a hassle. There's been other Android based phones too, so it wasn't as big as a deal.

The iPhone however is different, it has it's OWN plan, like the Blackberry. It doesn't have something like the RIM technology that always goes down since early 2000's, but it's completely different to how most phones work and things have to be wired differently on the carriers end to support it.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Huh? The iPhone works just like every other smartphone except BlackBerries (which are the only ones that require their own plans)

The only difference between the iPhone data plan and the regular smartphone data plan on AT&T is that the iPhone one activates visual voicemail. Other than VVM, there is no special support required on the carrier side of things for the iPhone like there is for a BlackBerry. That's why you can unlock an iPhone and it'll work on T-Mobile in the US. Believe me, T-Mobile isn't doing anything behind the scenes for the iPhone to work on their network. It's a regular old GSM phone, and as long as it's unlocked, supports the carrier's frequencies, and the APNs are configured correctly, it'll work on any GSM carrier.

9. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, but the Verizon internet usage is based more on the actual internet browser usage, not applications. People don't have 100 apps on their Blackberry, they have 100 apps on their iPhone. The same goes for T-Mobile. Even though it's higher, it's not the same usage. People are still checking their e-mail, but they're not playing a multiplayer game.

10. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, and at this point - if I'm not mistaken - AT&T is the only one who supports the visual voicemail.

11. bahooki macrumors regular

What are you smoking? Webos has apps. Windows mobile has apps. Android phones have apps. All these apps also use the internet. And phones utilizing all of those OS' are on Verizon. Verizon simply handles it better than ATT. This is not news.

12. bahooki macrumors regular

You're mistaken. Again.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There are apps for BlackBerry, Android and Windows Mobile. Apps have been around on smart phones long before the iPhone even came into existence.

14. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

att handles more data than Verizon sprint and t-moible combined. thats also why

15. Macdicted macrumors regular

Seems to me the way AT&T is desperately trying to lock up as many customers as possible NOW , points to them losing their grip and iPhone going elsewhere. Just my .02

Dont know wether Verizon would or wouldnt be able to handle it , but im willing to find out when and if ? it ever happens.

AT&T S U C K S !

16. itsmequinn macrumors regular

Look, this is absolutely unintelligible, but I do agree with the sentiment that people need to get an iPhone if they want one and not talk about how it's coming to Verizon if they don't. No one knows if it ever will. Sure it makes sense for Apple, but if you're not willing to tough it out on AT&T like I am, don't try to tell me about how great your Droid is in the meantime, I'm not buying it.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AT&T works just fine here. You're only fooling yourself if you think the almighty Verizon would be able to handle millions of customers switching over for an iPhone without any problems.

18. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

T-Mobile can not handle it, Sprint has a different technology just like Verizon, and Verizon had their chance, so stop whinning and get over it, or move off of AT&T.

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I had t-mobile before I went to ATT to get an iPhone. My service with t-mobile sucked everywhere I went. Since I have been with ATT I've had service everywhere I've gone (except for one pretty remote place) and I never seem to experience the dropped calls a lot of people are complaining about.

I think your actual location has as much to do with it as the phone you're using and the carrier it's on.

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

so i guess Verizon was getting it last year too since the same thing happened? learn before speaking. makes you look like an idiot.

21. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Prove it. Don't forget about aircards and mifi devices.

22. bahooki macrumors regular

No they don't.

23. mqguitar macrumors member

People complain so much about ATT and that they can not handle it. Now yes I agree with this to a certain point. Because how many people are possibly on Att just because of an iPhone, and i know they are trying very hard all the time to fix this. Also things depend on where you are located.

Now if a iPhone gets released to Verizon, T Mobile, Sprint, or a combination of or all it would be great. I am sure many people would jump to a carrier then just releasing all the stress on ATT making it then better for everyone on ATT.

Personally I like Sprints Customer Service the best. And would never go to Verizon because of their high prices. But I never really have much of dropped calls with ATT or any problems. And I always got good customer service.

If an iPhone comes out to anyone else here in the US i would be glad because it just means my phone would work better :)

24. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

thats what steve said