I think that I want to trade my 13 for an 11

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by apples23, Jun 15, 2012.

1. apples23 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

I picked up a Macbook Pro yesterday for my home office set-up, and am thinking that I may want to trade my 13 inch Air for an 11 as Ill likely be using it for travel only at this stage. Am i out of my mind?

Where can I get the best bang for the buck to do this? My machine is only 3 months old and is the 4 gig 128 hd version last gen i5 1.7.

Im looking to trade locally, but a dealer asked me for a $400 upgrade fee to move to the same spec machine in an 11, which hardly seems worth it.

I'm in Toronto.

Thanks

2. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Depends what you want the MBA for. Without a doubt (having owned both) the portability of the 11" is amazing. It's akin to the iPad but you get a lot more computer for it. The trade-off is battery life. At the end of the day, I couldn't live with 5 hours and carrying the charger meant ultimately lugging the same weight as the 13" without the charger so I stayed with 13". The 11" is so light that you can easily hold it in one hand and maneuver it around. Why don't you look to sell it second hand on amazon, ebay or craigs list and if you get the price you want then go and buy the machine you really want.

I assume the MBP will be largely staying at home then?

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

qft...everything he just said :)

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

A dealer has to sell it at a profit. The Apple store is selling them as refurbs for 959 plus HST. If yours is in mint condition it's worth about that much in a private sale, since you won't be charging tax. The buyer is entitled to your remaining months of AppleCare.

A local dealer (also Toronto) offered me $800 for mine, before the new models came out. I suppose that would be 100 or so less now.

5. iosuser macrumors 6502a

$400 "upgrade" fee? If they're giving you a new 2012 11", then it's not too outrageous. You might do better selling it yourself and then buy yourself the new 11", so factory in the convenience factor for that $400 upgrade fee. But if they're giving a 2011 11" then I'd say it's too much.

I had a 2011 13" Air for 9 months, just sold it a few weeks ago in anticipation of the update. I check out the 13 and 11 yesterday side by side, and I'm thinking to myself if I get another I'll probably go with the 11. Yeah it's a lot less desktop space, but the chassis itself is so much smaller. Looks smaller than last year when I decided to go with the 13" :confused:;)

So no I don't think you're out of your mind for thinking to go from the 13" to 11". Or we're both out of our minds :p

6. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Why, thank you! Mathematical peer acceptance at long last! Wasn't expecting it to come in quadratic transfer function but I'll take it anyway