I think the 7300GT video card is dying on my Mac Pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fromthealder, Jul 19, 2010.

1. fromthealder macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro 1,1 (two dual-core 3Ghz) has begun to have a blue screen flick on intermittently for a second or two. Sometimes the blue screen may not happen for over an hour and then it may happen a few times in a few minutes. I did a Safe Boot and reset the pram but there was no change. I was going to run Apple Hardware Test but after some Google searching it seems that Hardware Test probably won't spot the problem if it is the 7300GT video card I have in the machine - which is what I suspect is the problem.

Based on doing a search of this forum and a Google search, it seems like the cheapest replacement I can get for the 7300GT is the ATI Radeon HD2600XT. (I don't do anything that needs a higher "power" video card.) Does anyone know if either one or both of these cards will work in my Mac Pro:

http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1363386

http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1314694

If not, what cheap video card might you recommend for my Mac Pro 1,1 and where might be a good place to obtain it?

2. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Get Rid Of It!

The 7300GT is a piece of crap.. get rid of it.. too many problems to try and fix a slow, crappy card.. I never had one of those in my older 2006 mac pro - i had the next best crappier card - the 1900xt.

Get the 4870 HD or a flashed card!!! Don't waste your time on trying to fix or find the problem with the 7300GT - they were problematic since the beginning.

3. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Those video cards

Are PC flashed cards and will only work if you flash the firmware for them for use in mac os x. You can save yourself a lot of time by just getting a 4870 HD Apple version, or goto www.ebay.com and search for applemacanix and he can sell you already modded cards which will work in the mac pro on the OS X Side..

If you put these in the mac pro and you are using windows, then they will work as if they were real windows graphics cards on a real pc.

4. fromthealder thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the 7300GT isn't a very good card, but it worked OK for my purposes and, anyway, the card seems to be dying so I do need to replace it. I don't think for my purposes that the cost of putting a Mac version 4870 in my Mac Pro is worth it and I don't trust myself to correctly do the flashing and whatnot for a PC version. I appreciate the advice, though, since I'm sure that the 4870 is a much, much better card than the ATI Radeon HD2600XT. It's just that I think the 2600 will be sufficient for me and the ones I found are really cheap. I just need to know if the ones I linked to in the OP will work in my Mac Pro 1,1. Hopefully, someone with the knowledge will take pity on me and let me know whether or not either or both of those cards will work.

Edit: Oops, I missed in the header where you said, "Those video cards" so I didn't make the connection that you were talking about the 2600 cards that I linked to. Thanks for the information and sorry about the confusion.

5. Roman23 macrumors 6502

You can get the radeon 2600xt

On ebay.. its preferred to do so, if you want it at the lowest price possible..

Make sure you get the APPLE OEM and not the pc flashed one.