I think the majority of people have iphones now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruceleroy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. bruceleroy macrumors member

bruceleroy

With the price drop in the 4 and the release of the 4s it seems everyone i have seen in the past week pull out a cell phone has pulled out an iphone. Has anyone else noticed this? I seriously don't think i've seen anyone else with another smartphone for the last week or so.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I think you're seeing what you want to see

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Exactly, the iPhone is just the most memorable (probably because you have one yourself). Also, I imagine people with an iPhone are more likely to have it out using it.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Maybe you're just hanging out with a better crowd then you used to :D

5. lilo777 macrumors 603

Yeah, iPhone has become too ubiquitous now. Maybe that's why more and more people are switching to Android (tons of different phones).

6. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

The amount of people with iPhones and smartphones is rising every day.

But actually "most people" don't even have a cell phone. "most people" don't have a game console. "most people" don't even have a cable TV.

Of the cell phone owning population in the USA? I'd be surprised if more than 1 in 5 were iPhones.

7. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Agreed!!!!

8. skidbubble macrumors 6502

+1 Agreed.

I know Apple users like to toot the Apple horn, but to suggest that the majority (51% or more) of the world uses an iPhone is a ridiculous assumption. There is no way 4 billion people use an iPhone.

9. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

This was as of April 28, 2011.

"Nokia topped the list with 108.5 million shipments, 29.2 percent market share, but only 0.6 percent growth. Samsung was second with 70 million shipments, 18.8 percent market share and 8.9 percent growth.

LG grabbed the third spot with 24.5 million shipments, 6.6 percent market share, and -9.6 percent growth. Apple is fourth and ZTE rounded out the list with 15.1 million shipments, 4.1 percent market share and 45.2 percent growth."

The 4s will definitely increase Apple's market share for the 4th quarter, but they still fall pretty far behind the overall market.

10. bruceleroy thread starter macrumors member

bruceleroy

Im out alot and over the past couple of days ive seen people recording videos at concerts, at the bar, picking my son up from school, and at the barbershop all using iphone's. The only people i really see using android phones are younger most adults i see have an iphone.

11. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

You wouldn't know that based on some of the post I've read.

12. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

The majority of people would suggest 3.50000001 billion humans have an iPhone 4.

Do you really think thats the case?

Perspective... no app for that.

13. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think the reason that iPhones are seen more often (i.e. not the majority, but the most often spotted) is that they're much more useful, do-it-all devices than other phones and so spend more time out of the pocket. That's excluding comparable Android phones, of course.

I'm a student at Warwick University in the UK, however, and I mostly see BlackBerrys here, then followed by iPhones.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

ok, and...?

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Actually in the us, there are now more wireless lines than people. Even if a lot of these lines are for iPads and data cards, I think it's safe to say that in the U.S. most people have cell phones.

16. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

You clearly didn't understand what he was saying.

17. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Ugh. I wish that were the case within my circle of friends and family. Each and every one of my close friends has a ******* Android. I respect their individuality and personal decision-making but it still drives me nuts. I've played with all of their phones and I cannot, for the love of me, figure out WTF it is they see in them, but whatever. Plus it's also annoying that when there's stuff like Siri, FaceTime, and Airplay that I'd like to compare with them, it's just not possible because of the environment they've chosen for themselves.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't want to compare anything with anyone, but it is annoying that features like iMessage and Facetime are largely useless to me, because my friends (and in particular my GF) mostly don't use iPhones.... I had Bump on my iPhone for a while, and then it was like, I never use this app, ahh well. :(

19. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

everyone has an iphone, that's why you have to get a CASE that stands out!

element case + lucky lab decals = iphone awesomeness

20. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

That's basically what I really meant to say. I guess I can always come here and compare my experience with everyone else in these forums. It's the compatibility and interaction that's crippled when you're on a platform different from everyone else's. I get so jealous when I read of people going to their friends' and family's houses and are able to AirPlay pictures or videos to those people's Apple TVs. Ha! I don't think any of my friends or family members even know what an Apple TV is, let alone own one.

21. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

This case will definitely help you stand out

[​IMG]

22. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

I attend college as well and I see way more Blackberry's and Android phones than Iphones. If I see a person with an Iphone I am very shocked, because it's so rare to see.

Family wise it's just my brother, his wife, my cousin and my nephew who have Iphones and since I still had a 3GS when they got a 4 we couldn't utilize facetime, hopefully now I can use it.

As for my job I'm the only one with an Iphone and everyone else has either Boost, Cricket, and some have a T-Mobile, and a couple have Androids and they seem to think I have such an expensive phone.

I guess in a way I do but I don't see it like that. :confused:

23. AJsAWiz, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Very cool! What is it? Brand/model? Thanks :)
    Nevermnd, just saw it. Otterbox

Okay, just went to Otterbox site. Also went to radtech. Can't find this.

24. applefan289 macrumors 68000

"most people" is not the techie, cutting-edge crowd.

There's a lot of people like us in the world, but we're not "most people".

25. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

It depends on where you live.

In Boston / Cambridge area, I would see iPhone everywhere. It seemed that 90% or more of the phones people were using were iPhones.

Part of this might be because there were so many things to do with an iPhone, so people had them out in the coffee shops and on the Red Line etc. (You only pull a RAZR flip phone out of your pocket to make a call... for instance.)

In Hawaii on the Big Island, it seems that maybe 20% of phones are iPhones. There are a lot more Android phones and "social" phones with keypads. I saw more in Honolulu, but there is a lot of tourism there.