I think the reason a 17 inch MBP wasn't released was because of the screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr.stinki, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I bet that the 17 inch would definitely have a Matte screen once its released...

...and then people will complain how the 15 inch doesn't have that option...

2. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I think the reason it wasn't released with the 15" models is because of the screen size, not because of matte or anything but when the SR LED models were released, they didn't offer the 17" improved model during that release either. It came later. So it seems the 17" is always updated later.

3. benjs macrumors regular

So what you're saying is that the 17" models are updated later because the 17" models are updated later? :)

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Not true. Remember TiBook > AlBook?

5. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I was referring to current practices which I have observed, not since the onset of Apple's history or anything, thats all.

6. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

well maybe it just takes a lil longer to make and you know how the prev. gen MBP the 17inch had much better graphics memory than the 15inch ones. soo maybe the 17 inch has more/better stuff and cuz its bigger the proccess in making the unibodys could be a tad bit longer than usual. but i dunno

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

More likely they wanted to get the two most popular sizes out first. They may have been pinched for time and needed to do such for the holiday rush. I'm willing to bet 80 percent of Apple notebook buyers get the models with the new casing even before the update. In other words, most people buy the 13.3" MacBook or 15.4" MacBook Pro.

I am sorta confused at why Apple picked a 24" ACD to redesign first. I guess if you pony out the dough, you go for the bigger one instead of the 20" display. I honestly don't know how they sell any of those considering the price doubling from comparable Samsung displays. Oh yeah, I can still get a 24" Samsung in matte. :)

8. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I think you are right. It would make sense that because of the faulty 8600 Vnidia gpus, they rushed the new "late" model 15s mbps so they could replace the gpu in production.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They're sorting out all the hardware to make the 17 in the new unibody construction too - maybe they wanted to as said above, get the other models set up firwsts - htey know the diehard 17 inch lovers will wait a bit.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Perhaps it will.

The original Macbook Pro lost Firewire 800 and a dual layer superdrive, the 17" was released a while later and had both of these. We could see a 17" Macbook Pro early next year with a matte screen and Firewire 3200, both of which would then be incorporated with the 15" Nehalem Macbook Pro due in Q3 next year.

Apple leaves out a feature that was there previously, people bitch for a few weeks and forget, they then reincorporate it and Apple is the company that "cares so much for its users".

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

More likely the new manufacturing process weren't ready for the larger MacBook Pro or late technical issues.

12. Red-red macrumors 6502

Pretty much.

It's a new process. They wanted to get the macbook and the pro out because it's a time of year were people buy laptops, for uni etc and with the mass of rumors they needed to get them done. The 17" won't sell anywhere near the other models so it got put back so they could ramp up production on the MB and MBP.

13. pedrofan macrumors 6502

I'm almost sure that nvidia is developing SLI dual gpus for the 17 inches MBPro, as they have more space for it. So they are finishing the design of the mac motherboard to allow two gpus and solutionating the overheating problem and the battery problem. I BET FOR THIS, we have entered in the nvidia era so this can be a reallistic argument for the 17" delay..

They have another problem with the new screen design, as they may be very thin to allow 17 inches displays because the alluminium coul not support that size without blendig problems because of the torque when opening and collision probabillity (I think that the new and horrible glass in front of the screen is part of the structure of the screen's shell, it is a reinforcement to manage the new ultrathin size of the display, as the policarbonate is more ressistant than the alluminum to blending deformations)

14. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

I just hope you are wrong and it is not polycarbonate since that is very scratch sensitive !!

15. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

IPS.

16. dal20402 macrumors 6502

The 17" sells in lower volume and is a tougher engineering challenge. So it makes sense for it to be last.

First, Apple can learn from its experience making the 15" books. Second, it can get the highest-selling models out the door.

I am personally waiting for the 17". I think it will be gorgeous. :eek: I just really, really hope it (unlike either the 15" or the previous MBPs) works with 8GB of RAM rather than just 6.

17. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I hope they will invest the time they have wisely especially with the feedback they've been given by users from the 15". So Apple : Its matte option and you have me. If its glossy (glassy) only then I'm sorry but I will not buy one. I hope you will give us the option we are all craving for.
    Thanks