I think this is what the disappointed were expecting from the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Funkymonk, Sep 16, 2012.

1. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

WTF! No wireless charging? No NFC? Apple is lazy!
    AND OMG!!! 8 Megapixels? It's the same as the 4s. It sucks, Epic Fail. Steve would not have allowed! I'll get a Samsung
    :D

2. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

That phone.... would be a BEAST!

Of course that would have been better. I wouldn't mind having a bigger screen, but I am interested to see how the 4" screen feels in my hands before I judge.

3. zbarvian macrumors 68010

No widgets, no expandable storage, no removable battery, same old boring iOS lacking features. Still a toy.

...haha.

4. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

I would buy that iPhone in a heartbeat. Shame it will never happen

5. dgreene196 macrumors member

Eh, if that was the actual iPhone, people would complain about it being bigger, hotter, etc...

:D

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

The only way to please the masses is to release a phone in multiple sizes (screen).

7. dgreene196 macrumors member

Which then further fragments the iOS ecosystem.

The one bold move I would have loved to have seen from Apple would have been a rapid standardized switch to the 16:9 ratio display. All the iPod touches, at least a modified iPhone 4S with the 4 inch screen (I'm not sure how the iPhone 4, with the A4, would have handled more pixels).

How much easier would it have been for developers, going forward, to only have to worry about a 16:9 ratio display. Instead, they've got to consider the 3:2 3.5 inch regular display on the base iPod touch, the 3:2 3.5 inch retina display, the 16:9 4 inch retina display. And that doesn't even include the regular iPad screen and the iPad retina display. Simplicity for developers is a good thing. The creation of the iTunes App Store was a key step in building the success of Apple's iDevices over the last few years.

8. appswipe, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

If given a choice, I'd gladly take a 4.3" (or even 4") using the same iPhone aspect ratio over 16:9. But we have no choice so I'm settling for what they offer because I choose my phones based on OS over specs.

9. TimeforBed macrumors newbie

I think it looks weird without the home button :/

10. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

11. appswipe macrumors 6502

This is all just for kicks since Apple already made their decision, but I'm curious why you would prefer a switch to 16:9 if you're worried about fragmentation. Wouldn't the easiest (and better) solution be to maintain the existing aspect ratio and then simply scale it to fit a 4" 3:2 screen? I'm still not finding a true example of how 16:9 is the "right" move while a bigger version of the existing size is "wrong". In fact, I got to try out a few android phones and the 3:2 aspect ratio doesn't get too wide at all if the screen size is only increased to 4" (and even 4.3 was surprisingly small). So why is 16:9 so important to people now?

12. dgreene196 macrumors member

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. 16:9 is convenient as far as media consumption is concerned (same aspect as most new television programs, and closer to movies than 3:2). I also think that, in a landscape view, the wider (longer in portrait) screen could offer some advantages in terms of software buttons while leaving a central area for viewing a game, manipulating a photo, etc.

And, on a more personal note, I like the current width of the iPhone. I've got a fairly large hand but fairly stubby fingers. When I grab my phone, I have about 1 segment of a finger of overlap. If it were any wider (which it would have to be for a 4 inch 3:2 ratio screen), I wouldn't have as good of a grip carrying it around in my hand, and it would be a little harder to reach the far edge of the screen the way I tend to hold it. But everyone's a little different in this area. I can't even imagine how I'd use one of the big Android phones with 1 hand, though I suspect my 2-handed use would be the same.

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you go to your carrier's store, you can try it one-handed. For my small hands, the screens were too wide. I like the fact that apple is still considerate of its smaller handed users.

OP, in your specs, you forgot to mention crappy battery usage:rolleyes:. People seem to forget that an overly powerful phone means less battery usage. Apple is vertically integrated, which means they can optimize a less fast chip with their os. Android has to use a faster chip, because it's not optimized for their os.
    Also, you forgot to mention how thick a phone like this would be too. We know apple is about thinner and lighter. Apple will work within the limitations to achieve this.

14. menist macrumors regular

menist

There's no point of having all that power, when most apps don't even take advantage of it. All it does is drain battery, see android.

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Wow, I actually really like that design. Apple should've made the top and bottom bezels smaller.