I think we've got a serial killer on the loose here in Utah!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SLC Flyfishing, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

3 bodies found in similar situations during the past month. Each time a body is found inside a flaming car in a remote location.

Here's a link to yesterday's University of Utah school paper, dealing with the most recent case:

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/news/burnt-car-belonged-to-u-student-1.1646487

First one was my wife's friend's brother, found in a car up the canyon early in the morning, was ruled a suicide, but I think they'll be re-examining it.

Second one was near the airport, down an old dirt road. Body found in the car, with propane tanks in the back seat, valves opened.

Now a third one last week, found in the southern part of the state, just outside Zion National Park. This time it appears to be a young man who lives in student housing about 3 buildings over from mine. As of yesterday the body still hadn't been conclusively identified, but the car was his, and he's been missing since the first of the month.

Each case has been just about 12 days apart, and that's just a little too much coincidence for me to believe that they were all suicides. Two of the cases make me nervous because if they were serial murders, the victims could have been chosen here in my housing complex (My wife's friend, and the sister of the first victim lives in the building next to mine he may have been visiting her or something?).

For the first time in my life, I'm somewhat nervous to be out late at night, hopefully the Police can figure this out soon.

SLC

2. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just checked Utah regs. You can wear a side-arm, as long as it's not concealed.

Go get 'em Tiger.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, I'm sorry for your loss. That's really scary. Stay safe!

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

So one stayed near you and the other you knew through your wife. Are you sure you're not sleep serial killing? J/K

But I would look into a weapon like iJohnHenry said, or if you want to carry the weapon concealed you can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon as long as you can past a test and don't have any prior felonies, I believe, not completely sure.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, that's what I got from my search. Personally, I like the look of an old-fashioned holster on my hip. Nice and low, properly tied down.

7. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

My younger brother has a concealed carry permit, and I am permitted to carry on my campus. But my wife and I aren't too keen on the idea of keeping guns in the home, we've got two small children.

But if this happens again, (should be in 4-6 days if the current timing trend continues), then I may have to start thinking about it, especially if it's another victim connected to the campus housing in any way.

SLC

8. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I don't suppose you can get those bean bag guns the cops use can you? Maybe look into non lethal solutions if you don't like the gun idea, do you need a permit to carry those concealed as well?

9. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I could always get some pepper spray I suppose. I always just imagined holding my keys with one protruding from each space between my fingers and hitting an attacker on the bridge of the nose and making a run for it.

I'm not really that worried about my own safety just yet. Not enough to consider arming myself that is.

SLC

10. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Has it all been men so far? Even if so make sure your wife is protected, my wife carries a lock blade with her.

11. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

So far all men, and two of them with histories of Drug abuse. I haven't heard anything yet about the most recent victim, but maybe that could be a link.

Yeah, I need to get my wife some Mace.

SLC

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If they've all been men, your wife will most likely not be a target. I just hope this isn't another Dahmer. The last thing we need at this point politically is a gay serial killer.

Be careful out there SLC. And most likely from the sound of it, this guy was probably someone they knew, or at least trusted.

13. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

go get em leopard. (sorry i had to)
    Stay safe out there SLC, id be scared as well, be careful. and yea hopefully the police can figure this out.
    Take c are and hopefully u got some sort of protection

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Eek I live in Salt Lake City too! :eek: I'm gonna be extra cautious after dark, until they find out what's up.

15. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

As an update, there have been no additional incidents since the third one about 14 days ago. Though I believe the timing between either the first and second or the second and third incidents was 14 days.

I'm still feeling cautious, but perhaps these three incidents were all just eerie coincidences.

SLC