I thought GeoHot was going to release a JB yesterday or today?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuzion11, Feb 11, 2011.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'm hoping 4.3 will be released soon and a new untethered JB will be released soon after because this 4.2.1 GP jailbreak is sucking the life out of my battery!

I'm sure a lot of you guys are having battery problems too...Man it's so bad I'm almost ready to go back to the tethered JB via Redsn0w.

Has anyone heard anything about 4.3 being released soon? What are we at now 4.3 beta 3? or beta 2?

Who else is suffering from poor battery life since GP? I'm talking like 30% in 6 hours standby.

2. matthew23 macrumors regular

I am seriously having the best JB experience I've ever had with GB...everything is really really smooth for me. I noticed that if you load on 4.2.1 first, then all your itunes stuff and then JB a lot of the problems went away. I think its best to JB after syncing with itunes....

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I'm on a Verizon iPhone (4.2.6 JB w/ GP) and it works just fine. I've had it off the charger since 8:45am and it's now 1:30 almost and it's at 96%. I've made a few calls, and used WiFi to SSH into my phone to install a few Lock Screens.

4. Donny Jepp macrumors member

No one said such thing. You made that fantasy up in your head through massive wishful thinking.

5. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

I was thinking I might have shotty battery life. I guess mine isn't that bad. 4h18m usage and 9h33m of standby 30%. I guess its not as bad as I thought it was.

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

"I thought GeoHot was going to release a JB yesterday or today?"

What BS iphone blog loaded with pay per click ads told you this?

7. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hmmm that's interesting since I did mine the opposite way...fresh restore....JB....install JB stuff....sync everything with iTunes.

Can anyone confirm if it makes any difference or not??

8. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Here's the sequence I did:

1. Backup / Sync in iTunes
    2. Update to 4.2.1
    3. 1013 'Unknown Error'
    4. Follow steps 2 & 3 several more times until I realized to uncheck the point hosts to Cydia thingy in Tiny Umbrella.
    5. Successfully update to 4.2.1
    6. Sync with iTunes
    7. Jailbreak
    8. Reinstall Cydia and the roughly 20 or so JB apps / tweaks I had before.

My battery capacity doesn't seem to have changed at all from 4.1 with the Limera1n JB.

I use a QYG 1400 mAh battery pack case anyway as my everyday case now so I am good even if it does drop :) btw - If you use your device a lot and have considered a battery case but find them too bulky for every day use... this one is so slim it barely makes a difference in the iPhone's size and provides about 75-80% charge from almost empty. It's a great thing to have just in case!

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, Geohot has way bigger legal problems right now than to give a damn about the JB community right now.

10. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Poor George :( We should start a collection (PayPal) to take donations to help him pay for legal fees :)

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I donated to him a long time ago when his first solo program came out.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

To get a great jailbreak, you should have restored to stock Apple firmware before running Greenpois0n.
    Also, hactivation will kill your battery life, if you hactivated run the SAM fix.

13. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I always restore from new...and new only.

Still crappy battery life. Before I waste 3 hours getting my phone back to the way I like it I might just wait for a 4.3 JB from the dev team...unless another release candidate comes out for GP fixing a battery drain.

I read at ijailbreak.com that this is a pretty wide spread problem with GP on 4.2.1

Love to hear if anyone else is experiencing this or might have any suggestions as to how to fix the issue.

14. labman, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

15. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Doubt it's GP, more than likely its a package you have installed... Try process of elimination by uninstalling everything and putting them back on one by one. See which package causes the bad battery life.

16. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Didn't Sony seize his computer?

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

+1

I ran GP over my tethered Redsn0w JB and have zero issues with it.

18. iserian macrumors 6502

Battery life for me is just as crappy post jb as it is pre. I call it iPhone 4.

19. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Can you elaborate more on this?

1. When you first unbox an iPhone (4), what would be the first thing that you do if you intend to jailbreak immediately? I wouldn't have files to backup etc? Any point in connecting to iTunes?

2. Can you explain the 'hactivation' comment and the SAM fix?

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Hactivation refers to non-sim activation of the iPhone. This is mainly for people who don't have the sim of the iPhone carrier. For example, a t-mobile user who doesn't have an AT&T sim would use hactivation.

21. dissizitt macrumors member

how can you avoid activation from greenpoison then?

22. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Okay, so as far as battery life is concerned, someone who orders an iPhone from AT&T wouldn't need to worry about a hacktivation then..

From everything I've read, it seems that I should actually not sync a new iPhone with iTunes after unboxing it to avoid any firmware update which may not yet have an unlock workaround for..?

I'm nervous because I've got to jailbreak two iPhone 4's next week for the Mrs and I and I don't want to brick these suckers. I've been watching tutorials and reading and think I'll be going with GP for the untethered jailbreak. Here's to hoping it goes smooth. =)

23. nednarm macrumors 6502

Firstly don't worry about the phone updating the firmware. Your phone will probably come with 4.2.1 which can be JB but not unlocked, unless your phone comes with 4.0.2 or lower you (it almost certainly wont) you will not be able to unlock it.

Secondly you won't brick your iphone, it's impossible. If at any stage the jailbreak does go wrong then all you need to do is put it in DFU. Hold home and power for 10 seconds, then release power button but continue holding home for a further 10 seconds.

24. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Your post worries me. Unless I made the wrong inference, I thought you could perform the untethered JB w/ GP running 4.2.1. and then unlock the iPhone 4 with ultrasn0w through Cydia....? This is incorrect...?

I need the phone to work on all GSM carriers.

25. Crackbone macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes that is incorrect. If the phones you receive are on 4.2.1, it'll be accompanied by a baseband that's currently unable to be unlocked.