I thought it would not happen to me. Santa Rosa MBP dead.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Manzana, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Wirelessly posted (White iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I thought I was safe as I had not experienced any video problems. But 2 days ago my beloved MBP did not wake up from sleep. What followed was 4 hours of panic where I tried everything from "zapping the PRAM" to resetting the power status to draining the battery and recharging it again while I surfed on my iPhone for troubleshooting tips.

I finally found the apple tech bulletin and made my appointment to the Genius bar yesterday. Predictably my MBP failed the video test the genius used and I was given a work order (free of charge, great since I am out of the warranty period) and told the logic board would be replaced and I could pick it up in 4 days.

I wonder if I will have to worry about the new logic board, I am considering selling it. Will these replacement chips have the same problems?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

new logic boards have different part #s and are indicated to be REVision 2. It should be fine.

3. RoganJosh macrumors newbie

I also got a July 2007 Macbook pro - 2.2ghz - it's been great and I have looked after it so well, but in the last few weeks I have noticed a flickering - where the screen goes dark for a milisecond then back again - this was quite rare initially, but now I can't use the macbook as it literally gives me a headache within a few minutes. The approved Mac repair centre in Northern Ireland is rubbish so I'm tempted to try the newly opened Apple Store - will they take care of everything if I make an appointment and drop it in?

4. Manzana thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Wirelessly posted (White iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Have a look at the apple tech bulletin TS2377. When you take your MBP in and it fails the test they will take care of it. The genius bar say they do the logic board replacement in the store, and if they have one in stock it should take about 3 days.

Make sure you have backups! This is very important!

5. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

If anything, I would view these faulty Nvidia chips as a non-expiring get out of jail free card. Even if it does fail again, Apple has stated they will replace these boards again and again.

6. Manzana thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manzana

That's exactly why I worry since it reminds me of the situation with the dual USB iBook where the logic boards kept failing and kept being replaced. I don't know if I necessarily want to go through that.

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Only 2 years from original purchase date of the computer.