I thought the new Pages would allow me to open and save as DOC files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason.siegel, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

The Pages website states that now "You can save Pages documents as Word files." I've been using the old Pages for a while, and I could only open a .doc as a .pages files, and then "export" to a .doc again. It doesn't seem anything has changed with the new version. When I open a .doc, it still opens as .pages, and I can't save as a .doc unless I export. What am I missing?

2. onekerato macrumors regular

Looks like your question contains its answer! Pages website is only promising save/export to Word format. It won't edit in the Word format, since it's own .pages format is optimized for sync with iCloud & iOS devices. It's editing format is .pages and it generously supports a few file formats for import/export. Pretty much how most Word Processors work - each edits in its own native format.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

"Export" is really also just another word for 'save as', so it works the same anyway.

4. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Exporting is far less convenient

Here is the whole quote: "Teaming up with someone who uses Microsoft Word? Pages makes it simple for everyone. You can save Pages documents as Word files. Or import and edit Word documents right in Pages. Most popular Word features are supported, too. Now it’s no problem to work on the same project. Even if you use different apps."

Except for the word "import," this really implies that word filed can be opened and edited natively. I'm a bit disappointed, as that was one of the main reasons I bought the new version.