iPad mini I Took Advantage Of The $50 Off Sale For Retina iPad Mini @ Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spectrum Abuser, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

And I must say I'm impressed! The stereo speaker sounds amazing compared to my iPhone 4. I was debating for over two hours between the iPad 2 and Retina iPad Mini. The iPad 2's screen looked fine to me and I couldn't tell a difference between it and the iPad Airs. Unfortunately I could tell a difference between the original Mini and the Retina version and had to have the more expensive model. While I would of liked a bigger screen, I just couldn't get over the fact that the iPad 2 had a three year old processor in it.

In the end I went with the Retina iPad Mini 16GB Wifi. It's really light! I bought a ZAGG keyboard case for it, too, but it may prove to be impractical for typing. I'll have to use it for a few days before the return period ends. All in all it seems like a solid product!

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

If you can't see a difference between the iPad 2 and Air screen might be time for some glasses:)

3. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm only eighteen years old. The last eye checkup I had, which was four months ago, came out to be 20/20. I honestly couldn't tell a difference. There were loading differences with opening applications and such, but as for a visual display difference I couldn't see it.

4. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

Welcome to the happy rmini owners club. I assume yours has no issues with dead pixels or IR, right? Not to scare you but it's common.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I can tell the difference between retina and non retina on a full sized ipad from far away. The first time i went to check out the retina mini i was playing with the original mini until a genius told me that it was the non retina.

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Anytime anyone says "I couldn't tell the difference between the non retina and retina screen" I stop reading. Enjoy your ipad. It's a huge upgrade.

7. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's incomprehensible to me people can say that with a straight face.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I put the iPad Air and my iPad 4th gen side by side and The 4G is better. There is something about iOS7 that makes the contrast less pleasing. Also the photos are cropped unlike in iOS6 where it flies the frame.

Maybe the next update will get it together.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

Enable 'reduce motion' in your settings and the cropping issue goes away.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

The only people that i have known that can't see the difference were in their 70's. I would be going for another check elsewhere.

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Right?!? I can see the individual pixels on the iPad 2. Little squares everywhere.
    Can't see individual pixels on my iPad Air unless I use a magnifying glass, and even under magnification the pixels are smaller than the iPad 2.

12. Spectrum Abuser, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I went to go return the keyboard case this evening and cross checked the model number on the "iPad 2" floor unit and it came out to be the 3rd generation. That would explain the screen.

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The cropping doesn't go away. Before I updated to iOS7 I had taken a screen shot and it looked fine, like a screen shot suppose to work. After I updated to iOS7 that screen shot is cropped. So I took another screen shot of the same subject… still crop. Also, every photo I uploaded from my Mac, cropped. Having an iPad for photography or any type of graphic design is a great idea.. But not being able to show of your work is not good. Right now I feel I wasted money.

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

lol, thank heavens for that:)