I took it to the Apple store; they said $800 to fix it :eek:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by full moon, Oct 24, 2009.

1. full moon macrumors newbie

Hello every body,

Water was poured on my Macbook Pro 13" and stopped working. All it does, is showing a white screen with Apple logo and the progress circle running all the time.

I took it to the Apple store; they said $800 to fix it :eek:

Surely I'm not paying that amount to fix it. I can pay half of that and get a PC with win 7.

I hope my Mac pro is not died. I love it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Water poured? If it's not working now it will probably never work.

Buy a Windows PC if that is what you want or see if you can't replace the part yourself. $800 is Apple's price but you can buy the part off eBay for cheap and do it yourself for less no doubt depending upon the diagnosis of the problem.

3. full moon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.I can replace the part my self, but how to know which part is defected?

The sales woman said to me that wine was poured on hers, and it costed the same amount to get repaired. She said I'd just kept it running in my closet for five months, then it was fixed by it self. haha that is funny, probably I need to do the same thing.no?

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

i spilled about a quarter cup of iced tea into my HP laptop back in may. after googling around and going to notebookforums.com here is your best bet to fix it.

i had to take my keyboard, touchpad, DVD out. then remove the CPU and the graphcis card from their sockets and put the laptop on it's side for the water to seep out. do this for a day or two.

then take a hair dryer and blow into the laptop to get the last bits out.

after this my touchpad was flaky and i bought another one on ebay. same thing. i thought i needed a new motherboard but on notebookforums someone told me to get a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and rub the motherboard circuitry. so i took it apart again and did this for a few days in a row and now it works fine.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

when it spins up does it give you the cross sign after a while? You might as well test the parts you are able to like the hard drive and ram.

6. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Your best bet is to run the hardware test after the macbook has dried for a few days...

7. MackinIt macrumors newbie

Exactly, but if you've been testing it you probably already short circuited it. Many times the device won't be officially fried until you turn it on to see if it's officially fried when it's still wet.:apple:

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you get another laptop in the future, don't try and turn the machine on for several days and put it in a container with silica packets or uncooked rice to absorb the moisture before you try and test it... good luck with your repair...

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It doesn't have to cost $800 unless you replace the whole board. I've done it for members of this very board for $150 + shipping.

I have a 70/30 success rate. some people have tried to turn it on fifty thousand times and it worked again. Some people never tried to turn it on and took the battery out, and there was nothing I could do.

It's too complicated with too little documentation for there to be any certainty IMO.

As for all the drying ideas, they are useless. The board needs a cleaning. Drying it with a hair dryer is a god awful idea. You want something that is going to either blow hard without burning things in a concentrated fashion, or some sort of legitimate drying tool(like a dehumidifier, yes, it works). The issue is that the iced tea, as it seeps down, takes all the crud and crap in the laptop with it, and gets it onto the board. And also spreads out the thermal paste that apple goops on by the ton all over the place. Drying without cleaning is just as pointless as cleaning without a proper drying!

Even if you do dry it off, if it stops working 3 months later, now you know why.

When all that fails, sometimes voltage regulator ICs need to get replaced, and good luck doing that with a hair dryer..

10. iphonematt Guest

Check out MyService for repairs. They are much less expensive than Apple and are an Apple Authorized Service Provider. My company uses them for all of our Apple out-of-warranty repairs and they do a great job.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

These days you can get a new MB refurb for the price of the repair and have a faster machine.