I took off the black tape covering the back of the keyboard, will that be an issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jessica Lares, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I replaced my MBP's keyboard today and as I took off the black tape, noticed it was covered in REALLY, REALLY nasty stuff. Will it be okay to go without it, or should I consider applying a new batch of it on?

And can I just use normal electrical tape?

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

I am assuming you have the MBP 'Classic'. I took the sticky black plastic out and never put it back in (it tore) and it the machine works fine without it.

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Okay, thanks. Just wondering if it could melt into the logicboard overtime since it overheats A LOT.

4. moel macrumors 6502

FFS it does NOT overheat.

It runs hot. The basic defintion of overheating is "to operate above the thermal tolerances designed into the machine"

and you know what, if it does overheat, the computer would simply shut down and thats that. Please it might seem pedantic, but i'm sick and tired of the amount of people on this forum that say 'my macbook overheats', when it does no such thing whatsoever.

If the goo didn't drip when the black tape was attached and it had the power of gravity to help it, then it's not going to do it now either.

5. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My machine HAS shut down numerous times due to the overheating, thank you very much. But thank you for clarifying about the tape.