I took the plunge and bought a 13" Non-TouchBar MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theBostonian, Dec 16, 2016.

1. theBostonian Suspended

Have I made a huge mistake? Should I have waited for yet another refresh? I'm upgrading from a 13" MacBook Air 2014 so the extra RAM and SSD space will be welcome but still...

2. Typh macrumors newbie

The only one that can say if you have made a misstake is yourself, what are you using the computer for?

Noone knows what will come next. It can be awesome and it can be ****. Be happy about your new awesome MacBook :)

3. theBostonian thread starter Suspended

I suppose all the negative press spooked me, but it seems 10.12.2 fixed a lot of the problems. I guess I need pre-buyer's remorse therapy :p

4. Macalway, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

The Air has a better form factor. The nMBP is like that as it's a unified design across the other version, so there's that.

The screen, internals, ports, and other things are better. I couldn't stand the Air screen. Can't believe the still make those things.....still

They lines are all confused now. You have the 12" now, which is the Air design. Now the MBP, which replaces the Air? makes no sense. They should have just updated the 13" Air. People will argue this, but the fact is the Air design is actually what they are striving for, no? The new model seems like a step backward ( maybe there was no room of the worthless touch bar)

Oh, but you did good :D ( I have them myself)

5. btbam91 macrumors regular

I'm definitely waiting for a refresh. I expect prices to come down.

6. Typh macrumors newbie

Agree, the Air screen is something they should have discontinued and replaced with a retina one. But i guess the air is there with the crappy screen as the step in computer and to be cheap

7. theBostonian thread starter Suspended

Have there been any issues since the latest update? I liked the nMBP screen and the keyboard too actually.

I do a lot of typing, occasional web work and debugging hence my list of needs isn't too great.

8. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

You will be happy. Don't listen to all this noise here. I figured out pretty quickly who and why people hate on the MBP 16. If you needed/wanted the upgrade, enjoy it. I have to agree, the retina screen is the t*ts compared to the MBA screen. It's just refined in every area.

9. Macalway macrumors 68020

You move forward. Sometimes it feels like sideways. Out with the old, in with the new

Like the new year :D

10. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

We bought 2 NTB one in silver and another in Space G we love them both its a great machine

11. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

If the machine meets your needs then why wait? There is no guarantee when the next release will be (I am guessing early-mid 2018) but if you are going to wait for it, then why not wait for the next one after it?

I don't think the pricing will change. Apple stuck by it's pricing guns with the 12" MacBook and if anything needed a price drop, it was them! I expected the 12" to drop in price when it refreshed earlier this year and it did not..

Is there something specific you are waiting for? 32GB RAM option? Something else?

12. theBostonian thread starter Suspended

I was going to get the 15" because I could use a discrete GPU but I wasn't really wow'd by AMD's offering. I would have liked better GPU options, I don't know why they didn't go with nVidia's Pascal GPUs.

13. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

If it was me, I would have probably waited for the next update of the Macbook Pro. It will probably happen in six months, and by then, Apple will have worked all the kinks out and maybe even updated the internals a bit. You have a perfectly good Macbook Air; why not keep using it for six or seven months, save your money for the next "problem-free" refresh.

14. zone23 macrumors 68000

I retired a Macbook Air for a MacBook Pro and have zero regrets. If you like it and it does what you want it too then you shouldn't either. Forget the hatters always something wrong. Be happy its a great computer.

15. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Amen

16. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

I would have gone with the 15" if I still trusted AMD GPU's and if they didn't have a touch bar. I love the 13" its a cool little computer, very capable and the size is perfect. I like to cary the computer with one hand, and not feel like the computer is too big and slipping away.. One thing coming from the AIR you will notice is how dense the 13" feels. Its very dense for how thin it is. The MacBook and the AIR flex way more as you pick them up. The 13" is like a little paper brick.

I have not experienced any glitches and the battery time seems great. My only problem is that I'm old and I have been using computers for digital and graphics since the 90s, my eyes used to be perfect, now, not so much. I wish their was a quicker way to switch between display resolutions. When I start my day, I am 1680x1050, by the end I'm at 1024x640.

17. bigdogn12 macrumors member

Just purchased the Macbook Pro 2016 13" nTB. I have been an avid purchaser of Macbook Airs every year since 2011.

One ODD thing, I received my MBP 2016 today, sealed in packaged. Opened package, removed it from packaging, took plastic off, and opened the lid. It TURNED ON, didn't need to press POWER BUTTON.

Is this unusual? Should I be concerned. Note this is out of the package, hoping it isn't used.

18. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

I believe it's normal, it's one of the new feature of the Macs: when opening the lid they turn on automatically.

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Unless you really need the extra power for video editing ect I would have kept the Air and maybe just redo a clean install to make it feel fresh and fast again.

20. bigdogn12 macrumors member

Thank you. May I ask a question? Never have used a Retina mac. Have a 27" inch iMac and always used Macbook Air. I'm able to choose specific resolutions for my display. On the macbook pro 2016, in the display settings, the smallest setting I can use is "smallest" but states "looks like 1680 x 1050". I'm a person that loves seeing a lot of text on screen, is there a way to use the device on the display's native resolution? Does anyone ever ask this?

21. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

System Preferences > click "Scaled" > choose "More Space". I wouldn't say this is common knowledge for everyone, but somewhat well known with this crowd I think. Reasonable question.

22. Garage Battle macrumors member

Its a really beautiful piece of kit, but I do agree that the keyboard could somehow be more premium.

The rest of the experience is beautiful and puts windows to shame.

23. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Personally I think it was a little soon for an upgrade but thats me and I had my last MB for 11 years (2 years too long) so take my advice FWIW. But I think if you were able to sell your MBA and get a few shekels for it you might feel better about the purchase overall.

You will love the new one it's awesome.

24. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

If it makes you feel any better, the non tb seems to be the most glitch free of all of the variants. I have a tb with no issues, but just reading the forum, the non tb guys are thrilled. Probably because of the battery life and no "gimmick" tb but mostly because of the value. The non tb gets the least wrath from the anti-16 crowd.

25. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I went with the TouchBar model and think this is the best MacBook I've owned so far. For what I use it for.

I've gone from a late 2009 15" MBP, to a 2010 13"MBA, 2011 13" MBA, 2013 13" MBA, 2015 12" rMB and now the 13" MBPtb. Wife has the 1st gen 2012 15" rMBP and 2014 15" rMBP and now she has the exact same model 13" rMBPtb and all I've heard from her has been praise.

Also, with SwitchResX you can get much higher resolutions out of the monitor but the texts gets super, super tiny at that point.
    Yes the new MacBooks auto power on when you initially open them from the box.