Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMan4Ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
I just got my BRAND NEW $3200 PowerBook this afternoon about 4 hours ago. So I get it all hooked up and running, and go sit out on my apartment balcony, im on the 2nd floor.
So im sitting in my patio chair, using the powerbook,when i decide to run in and grab a couple Pepsi's. So I look around for a place to set the PowerBook, see the table is covered with junk, so I set it up on the wide balcony railing.
Upon coming back out, im trying to juggle a glass and 3 pepsi's am halfway to my chair and i trip over the damn power cord! The power cord yanks out of the socket in the power book and the powerbook wobbles on the railing, and as i lunge for it, it topples off the railing to the concrete patio 2 storys below.
Now the aluminum is battered, dented, smashes, has bits of rock embedded in it. The screen is shattered and cracked in a million places, the whole bottom half is bent like a pretzel, the keyboards fell apart keys everwhere, its totally smashed and totalled!
im just about sobbing here, im about to kill myself! argh!!!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Can we see a picture? Man I feel so bad...what can you possibly do? Will your insurance help you out? :(

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I'm so sorry, dude... that has to be one of the worst powerbook death stories i've ever heard!

So what happens now? Are you out $3200? If so, that sucks...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
MacMan4Ever said:
So I get it all hooked up and running, and go sit out on my apartment balcony...
Thanks for the cautionary tale. I will go hug my PowerBook now.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....geez, I feel for you...what an awful feeling. Like CanadaRAM says...I hope you have that credit card protection. The last think I want to do is make you feel worse and rub salt into the wound but putting a laptop on a balcony ledge is *never* a good idea (as I am sure you've realized by now)...I don't know what else anyone can tell you...I don't think any of us can make you feel any better about what has happened. Just try to get over it and if you are not covered for it I hope the financial hit is not too much of a strain.....oh yeah! (or in your case...I should say....oh no!)

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I just have one question.. why set it on ther rail?

at least now you will know to be careful and not put your computer(s) in harms way.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I must admit, that sucks...bad. I just about had a breakdown when I got a little scratch. But for you, man...

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I know that feeling,

Had my $500 iPod stolen out of the back of my backpack at school, I reached behind me to feel my iPod in my backpack as I walked out of the school... I got the worst empty feeling ever. I knew right then I was screwed. Word traveled fast who stole it, I ended up getting it back all scratched up, missing accessories. (luckily I had the Comp USA plan back then and got a new one from them.

My bro's PB got mountain dew spilled on the keyboard within 30 days of purchase... It cost $1000 to repair and has never been as good as new ever since... applecare was immediatly voided due to liquid damage.

Everything happens for a reason... Think about how much you will enjoy your next mac and take good care of it. It is a lesson, and I am sure you learned it. I actually set my iPod on top of my car last year, I drove off. Got home and nearly fainted, I found it on the side of the road, if I wouldn't have made a hard turn it would have been gone forever. Don't think back and try to wish you could go back in time. I found that after tragic events like this that I always don't things for granted and treat things with more respect.

good luck

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
holy S***!

I really hope your Credit card covers the accidental damage!

If that happened to my PB, I'd be in TEARS.

Good luck, man..

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
ITASOR said:
Can we see a picture? Man I feel so bad...what can you possibly do? Will your insurance help you out? :(

First post and first few words and what do we want? A Picture of the tragic event :p

Anyway, it would be totally shocking to actually see it.

All I can say is sorry for your loss.

Take care.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Wow. I'm . . . . . . really sorry. I wish I had more to give than that. Sorry man.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Will your homeowners or renters insurance pay for this? Man, that sucks. I mean that sounds like everything is totally trashed. Can't even part it out, except maybe the individual keyboard keys.

On a lighter note, maybe you could try the Kramer USPS/stereo replacement scheme.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
tsk said:
On a lighter note, maybe you could try the Kramer USPS/stereo replacement scheme.

MMmm... fines for insurance fraud IN ADDITION TO the dead PB.
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my bank account. :)

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Man, that sucks, bad. I am really sorry to hear about it. Really, really, sorry. :(

I do think this is a good time though to tell people once again: check into computer insurance. The moment you spend that much money you know the repercussions if something happens. Whether it was stolen, an accident, freak lightning, or something else. There are some really good companies that cover all this stuff for a pretty reasonable yearly price. Safeware.com is who I use, but I am sure other people have recommendations.

In your case I really hope your CC, Renters, or Home owners insurance covers it. I am so sorry man. Best of luck...

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Sorry dude!

My story is not as near as sad as yours but still sort-a sad with a happy ending.

My friends were out biking and when my of my dumb@$$ friends thought it would be funny to ram into my rear tire. Well, that was the dumbest thing he ever did. I was listening to "Ass like that" and them WHAM, he hit me and I fell on the ground, crushing my BRAND NEW 60 gig iPod photo. Well, about a week later, I got a package in the mail with no return address. There was a NEW iPod and a letter saying "he was sorry". Amazingly, I still talk to him, lol :p

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Man, the moment you mentioned balcony, I got that sinking feeling in my chest that you probably had when you saw your powerbook fall. OUCH. I think I totally know where you're coming from.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
Well if you just got your power book...Can't you just call up your shipper person and say you received your powerbook in the condition it's currently in? It's not honest....but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.