I traded in my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S4 tonight and I will already be switching back.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacoblee23, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I was curious what android was like and they said they will waive the re-stock fee if I want to trade it for the iPhone 5s. Maybe I am just overwhelmed and not used to the change, but I just miss iOS already and am getting annoyed.

2. 617aircav Suspended

You didn't have to trade in your phone just to do that.

3. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Okay, thanks for sharing, be happy with your iphone 5s :) :D

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Me too

Got the Galaxy S4 after the Ip5. Galaxy is a great phone, but I want to come back to the iphone. Getting the IP5s.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Thanks for sharing, Your android experience is very common which is why I always warn people off trying these devices to replace Apple products in the first place. Welcome home, and please share this story on as many other sites as possible to stop others from making the same mistake.

6. juswest macrumors regular

I think they work just fine to replace Apple products. I use a ton of google services so I don't notice anything. Just comes down to personal preference. It's not a mistake. I love my iPod and Macbook but I love my Moto X than I ever did my iPhone.

7. toondw macrumors 6502

I did something similar, I gave my iPhone 5 to the wife and got a nexus 4 to try proper android.......6 months ago.

My android experience is to be honest very good.......but, for reasons I cannot fathom, I want to come back to apple. So.......now debating between 5c or 5s. 5s is winning.

8. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

My sister did the same thing (well, her phone actually broke so she was waiting for her upgrade ;) ) and she HATES the Galaxy. I always see her getting angry with the speed and UI lag on it. Luckily, her upgrade is due and she's getting a 5s haha!

9. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Thanks for sharing. As I said, it's very common place for Android switchers to feel remorse within 6 months or less and want to come home to Apple. 5s will be the best smartphone money can buy when it launches next week, but yeah, the 5c will still be a huge upgrade over that nexus 4. Welcome back to the A team. :D

10. Roller macrumors 68020

If you have a limited time to trade it for a 5s without a re-stocking fee, that may be the best approach. However, even as an iPhone fan, I'd say that one day isn't enough to tell if the Galaxy S4 is right for you. It takes more time to get used to a different OS/hardware combination.

11. maflynn, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're unhappy with the android platform, by all means get the 5s.

I will say you need to give android time, its a completely different OS and so you need to adjust how you work with the phone. For me it took a couple of weeks and then things started really coming together.

with that said, I prefer the iOS platform because I'm well engrained in the apple ecosystem - it doesn't makes too much sense for me to move off of iOS because I'm heavily into iCloud, calendar, contacts, iTunes.

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I think you mean it "doesn't" make too much sense, in that last sentence...

13. j0han macrumors 6502

j0han

Well i could aswell share my story.

just did they tell you to do .. Now I sit here with a S3a and can confirm that it was true that the apple people said, iOS is an OS for phones, Android, jesus.., so sick disgusting tired of all faults.

After a year of use, the Android OS taking between 15-30% battery overnight.
    Android's battery time are really... ****.. even when I run with Tasker with profiles that only have running gps with programs that require it, same with wifi. have wifi when I am in certain places like home, work, parents, in-laws, etc..

Android laggy, slow, sms ****s upp sometimes (run with go sms pro)
    No, the list could be longer ... Before anyone says 'hand it in' I've done that, twice, last time I got a new phone, after three weeks it was the same ****.

And pepople are saying take a S4, its freekin same motor side, faildroid. But what I may lack, SwiftKey is the best keyboard! Then android some good features like share photos to other apps.

Because I renewed last year I could not take 5, but now I can renew.

Will finally back in Apple land again

The reason i changed from iPhone 4 to S3 was that the work offer'd either S3 or iPhone 4S, but i wanted to try it out due to what people said about Android.

A big misstake, BIG..

Cant wait to be able to join the apple family again, missed out that be able to share photos easy to the iPad, photostream!

Will take a iPhone 5S, sad that Sweden has to wait for the next batch..

14. BlindMellon, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

sorry, i call BS without more details. just how old of a 'galaxy' was it? or are you intimating through vagueness that all the new galaxy phones are slow and laggy? half the people i work with have newer galaxy phones and i see none of them 'getting angry with the speed and UI lag'. at least try to be more original with your Samsung bashing rather than repeating the standard apple-fan talking points ad nauseum.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

lol, you're right. Is that a Freudian slip :eek: I was contemplating getting the Note 3.

16. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Hey ma,(mod), Grammer Policeez ain't givin yo no reespect!!

17. juswest macrumors regular

I think he's doing that thing in which 2 people equal the whole. Something one could do with Apple products also. I could take the issues people have at the genius bar or the troubleshooting help people get here; and use that to say all of Apple products stink. But I remember those with issues are more vocal than those without.

18. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I've tried to switch to an Android device on 2 different occasions thus far and each time, I went back to my iPhone. The first time was from a 4S to a Galaxy S3. The second time was my 5 to a LG Optimus Pro G. While they were nice phones, they didn't have the same feel of quality to me. The OS was shiny and pretty but using it just wasn't the same.

Every time I've called Apple Support, I've always been met with a friendly person that I actually enjoyed talking to. It's hard to discount that as well.

I've learned that I'm quite invested in the Apple/iOS world and I truly love their products versus the competitors. Each time I switched back I felt like I had an old friend back. LOL

I've learned a lesson, stick to what I like which is Apple stuff and move on.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. You need more time than just a few hours. I made the switch from an iPhone to HTC One in July. It took me a couple of weeks to mainly make the adjustment.

20. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

S4 is not the top dog anymore. It's the LG G2. Time is not friendly to android phones my friend. It's the one nice thing about iPhones. Apple would be crucified if they released another iPhone in 6 months. On Android you get at least another flag ship every 3 months.
    It's why upgrading yearly on android is worth it compared to Apple; new hardware with the latest software. First Htc One, then S4, then moto x, then G2, then note 3 and now Nexus 5. And then you have everything else below them.

21. Roller macrumors 68020

Not by the people who are complaining about the 5s and want a bigger screen. :)

22. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I'll share a story from two days ago, that explains why you don't want an S4 (or any non iOS phone for that matter). I was asked to take a picture for some friends two days ago. First person hands me an iPhone 4, no issue, picture gets taken.

Second person hands me S4, opens camera app, comes up with "Please wait, updating firmware." Sadly, no picture for him, I think it took about 5 minutes to update itself. Consider yourself warned.

23. dojoman macrumors 65816

Wake me up the day Android will back up the phone fully without rooting. There's no find my iphone like feature until a few months ago, people are saying Android had all features, I think not.

24. Becact macrumors member

I tried the exact same thing. The S4 is a great phone but the Samsung bloat ware really cripples the phone. 8 cores and 2gb ram and it still stutters everywhere. Honestly I couldn't believe it. I think the only way to do android is stock android, either on a nexus device or through rooting.

To be fair the android keyboards were a lot nicer. Swipe is amazing, and swiftkey's predictions work much better than the iOS keyboard's.

25. mxidis88 macrumors member

mxidis88

I've used them all...

I've had every iPhone since the iPhone 3. I've also had the SG3, Nexus 4, HTC One X+, SG4, and HTC One. I can unequivocally say that as long as you stay within one generation, there's no real "speed" difference between iOS and Android phones. I found that while I enjoy using Android phones, there is a comfort level with iOS that I can't get with Android. Don't get me wrong, the high-end android devices are amazing and often either better physically designed(HTC One) or have better software features(SG4) than their iOS counterparts. However, when I return to using iOS after a foray into Android, I feel like I'm coming home.(Cheesy, I know...)

Android OS is great especially if you use Google services, and I love the ability to use google on any platform(looking at you iCloud), but when I commit to Apple devices completely I just feel good.(except when I look at my bank statement).