I tried Handbrake on my Ibook 15" just for kicks!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mandomex, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Mandomex macrumors newbie

Mandomex

Bored one evening and I wanted to see how long it would take to convert a DVD with Handbrake.

My primary machine is an Ibook G4 14" 1.42GHz w/ 1.5gb ram running Leopard on a 250GB 5400rpm HDD.

A 108min DVD estimated 10-10:30 hours to convert!!! I turned it off after about 30 min.

How did we live back then??

Ripping cd's isn't to bad though.

Just thought I'd share this w other PowerPc book users.:eek:

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

That's nothing. I used to do the most advanced x264 codecs on avidemux with some motion compensated deinterlacing set at around 800kbps for 5minute long files at 720x480. Average time was around 16 hours on my G5 iMac.

I can't imagine what the time would be if I tried using tempgaussmc and 1080p resolution files. Even my lynnfield iMac quotes the estimated time for that at multiple days for 5minute files. The G5 iMac? Well I guess it's a good thing I was never able to use avisynth on it, otherwise I probably would have nuked it with such a task.

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

When my G4 was my primary computer, which was only seven months ago :eek:, I would use Handbrake on it to encode videos I ripped from my DVD collection. That time you posted looked all too familiar. What I used to do is have videos encoding while I was at work and when I was sleeping. :cool: I'm so glad I have my i7 iMac now to do the encoding.