I tried the Apple Watch today and then cancelled mine

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by D28Z98, Apr 11, 2015.

1. D28Z98 macrumors member

I had two Apple Watches ordered, one for me and one for my wife. I was in the June delivery camp. I had an appointment this morning to try them on and play with them at the store, then I went home and cancelled both orders.

First off - the 42mm is ABSOLUTELY not too big. When I first saw it I thought it was the 38mm. It's just not to big, it's as simple as that - it's actually kind of small. I tried on the Sport with the sport band, Milanese loop and the leather band. I honestly didn't like what any of them felt like. They all felt stiff or something. Also the 42mm sticks pretty far off my wrist. I'm not a watch wearer, never have been - and they just absolutely never felt comfortable on me.

My big issue though was with the Watch OS after I got to play for a long time with their display units. Sadly I discovered that for me, nothing was faster (at all) than doing these tasks on the iPhone in back pocket - I mean absolutely nothing. I felt like most of the tasks I would be doing on it, texting and stuff, was a huge memorized series of digital crown, clicking, force clicking, and waiting. The OS IS slow, without question - but you know those things will improve.

I think I was always on the fence about the Apple Watch, but I preordered anyway. I was hoping my experience today would push me over to the side of wanting one, but it really pushed me over to showing that it's simply just not for me.

I cancelled both of my orders, a black 42mm sport and a white 38mm Sport for my wife. My wife never really "cared" at all one way or the other anyway, so my experience today was easy for her to just cancel too.

The good news is that I've opened up at least two more for those of you who also got June delivery dates!

It's a nice product (a VERY nice product), and people who are into them will love them. To me it's just TOO unnecessary and too cumbersome.

Oh well, at least now I know without question that the Apple Watch isn't for me.

2. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Do you sit down with your phone in your back pocket?

4. ttexxan macrumors regular

Im hoping I wont have to pull out my phone as much so a plus for me. It will take an adjustment time for the interface and many will only use certain functions important to them. For me apple pay is worth it. I hate carrying a wallet and most places are starting to take apple pay more. I use apple pay almost every day.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

lol, well with the way Apple has been acting wonky lately on even orders within the two per household limit, there's a chance your order could have been canceled anyway (joke). ;)

Thanks for letting us know your impressions. The reviews did suggest there would be a steep learning curve and lag and that many interactions with the interface would not be intuitive. It may be right for only stalwart early adopters.

However I can't imagine texting on such a tiny screen. For me it's simply a wearable alert to let me know I might want to fish the phone out of pocket or purse or find wherever I left it so I can go and properly respond on an interface meant for communication. For functions I can't deal with effectively at a glance for a few moments, I don't think I'll bother all that much.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Excellent, I'm one cancellation closer to my Watch today. :p ;)

Glad you got a chance to check it out and re-evaluate before you got charged.

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

The goal of the watch is not necessarily to text with, but Apple includes a limited function just in case

The goal is not to take calls, but they include a limited functionality version just in case...

The goal is really to be watch that tells time, but also gives you a little bit more information in that quick, 3-5 second burst of attention you give your wrist here and there during the day. (with at least .5-.75 of a second spent on your retinas focusing on the display)

Its battery, OS, form factor is all geared towards this use case. I will still be texting, emailing, gaming, doing 'heavy lifting' on my phone but I do see the value of a wearable companion that will tell the iPhone to emit a signal when I've lost it. :apple:

8. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Lol. It's not fast? How could you know. It's a store demo. There's no way to play with the OS. It is on a demo loop

9. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

They have watches against the wall that you play with. The try on watches are the ones in demo mode.

10. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

The try on models are on a demo loop but the display models tethered to iPads are not. You are free to play around with the OS, though still limited in some aspects.

11. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I wil be totally honest OP. It takes more than a few minutes if you are not already sold on a smartwatch. I remember when I first got a pebble. I did not immediately care for it. Now, I will always have a smartwatch.

13. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

If your iPhone is literally never more than 1.5 seconds away from being in front of your face, and you're fine with that, then no the Watch is not for you. Just as I would not recommend an iPad to someone who has a MacBook in their lap all day long.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

Threads like this just go to reaffirm my view that a lot of people simply don't understand the concept of a smart watch or how best to use it. Having had a Pebble since its Kickstarter launch even with its limited capabilities makes me appreciate the benefits of a smart watch.

There are too many people out their who have this misconception that a smart watch is supposed to replace and take over from you smart phone. It's not. If that was the case they would give them GPS and cellular capability. They are meant to be a companion to and more to the point an " extension" of your smart phone. The sooner these people understand the concept the sooner they will be able to appreciate smart watches especially one like the :apple:Watch.

15. D28Z98, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

D28Z98 thread starter macrumors member

To answer a few questions - yes - I am someone who my iPhone's basically "lives" in my back pocket.

The slow OS by itself would never have stopped me from purchasing as software updates fix all of that. It was the combination of that, not comfortable to wear (for me) and not feeling a huge need to replace the experience of just using my iPhone.

It really is an incredible device by itself and I don't have a question that users will love them if you have that need. I guess I just don't. I'll be the very first person to admit that I've never fully understood the real concept behind the smart watch. I just viewed this as a new exciting Apple product that I wanted to try getting into - but I never found that use for me.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    1. There's no doubt at all that wrist notifications are incredibly handy.

2. For people without purses, everything else is gravy (*).

So, I think there's a lot of people for whom a simpler and less expensive notification watch... especially one that lasts for days without recharging... would be all they need.

-
    (*) As someone pointed out a while back, people with phones stuck deep in purses have a much better case for wrist app usage, than those who carry their phone in an easily accessible pocket.

17. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I don't think it is possible to genuinely understand what the day to day impact of the watch will be until you've worn it for at least a few weeks.

18. ShawnTXDFW macrumors regular

ShawnTXDFW

Bottom line is the watch isn't for everyone. I copied this from a review and thought I'd share:

Some people have already decided they’re getting Apple Watch on the day it comes out. Because they love Apple. Because they like new things and being the first to buy them. Because there has been so much hype around this product.

Others may want it because it offers a fluidity that other smartwatches don’t — if you’re already tied to Apple software like iMessage, iTunes, Siri and Health. Watch is the seemingly inevitable extension.

But Apple Watch is not a cure-all, and it’s likely not a timepiece you will pass down to your grandkids. It is a well-designed piece of technology that will go through a series of software updates, until one day, years from now, when the lithium ion battery can no longer hold much of a charge and it won’t seem as valuable to you.

From a technology standpoint, it is an extension of the iPhone. And just like the smartphone, it starts to change your habits over time.

It’s swiping through pictures of family on your wrist, seeing your heart rate spike when you’re watching an exciting game and getting a glimpse of a message when you’re rushing between classes or meetings. It’s trying really, really hard not to look at your wrist when you’re in the middle of a meeting. In our new world of too-many-devices, it somehow becomes the second thing you reach for when you roll out of bed.

Smartwatches are still unproven, but Apple has made a pretty strong case for them.

When it comes down to it, some people are just tech savvy and want the latest, newest product out there. I am one of those people. I will give products a chance, if I like them, then I keep them. If not, I bring it back and or re-sale the thing. I am not a watch person at all. Never have been. I wouldn't really call me a Apple Fanboy pursue, but over the years I have given Apple products a try, and can say I'm extremely pleased with almost all of them. This is why I'm willing to give Apple the chance on the AW. After seeing it in person, trying it on, and getting the general feel for the watch Apple might have turned me into a new avid watch wearer. Only time will tell (no pun intended) but given Apple's reputation, I don't see me being at all displeased with the AW.

-Shawn

19. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

this is the case where if Apple watch is in store, there will be a lot of "impulse buys"..

"OMG, look how pretty the butterfly is". Once you buy it, it's much more unlikely you will take it back

however, thanks to Angela, that's not going to be possible. Apple just lost 2 sales right there.

20. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Well considering they are back logged until June, I don't think 2 sales is a massive loss.... :rolleyes:

21. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Right, what watches? :D

To hell with them, send it to me

Thank you very much

22. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

any loss is a loss, doesn't matter how big your company is. It's never a good thing when a pre-order gets canceled because the customers realized the product doesn't live up to his/her expectation

23. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm not talking about the product living up to expectations.

I'm talking about it not being available in-store, only online. That's what I quoted you saying.

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I had my appointment a few minutes ago, and it totally affirmed my decision to order the 38mm Stainless with Milanese. The watch is beautiful and feels great, and I also gotta try a sport band, and was really impressed with the quality. Played with the demo model for quite a bit, and I thought it worked really well. But I am used to wearing a Fitbit (for a few years now) and the watch gives me even more functionality. I can't wait to get mine.

By the way, I also tried on the 42mm and it was just too big on me. Apple guy felt the same way, and so did all the people around me. It's a shame there wasn't a try-on period before pre-orders start. I'm just glad my instincts were correct.

25. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

For me, the watch isn't about sitting there and playing with it like I would an iphone. For me, first it's a watch. Second it's a fitness tracker. Third, it gets me quick notifications for important things like work email. Fourth, it's a quick way to answer a quick calls for a quick questions, esp. for work. Finally fifth it's a fashion accessory that I think looks pretty damn cook.