I Update iPhone Apps As Needed. iTunes Insists I Download & Update All Again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UtahRugbyGuy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. UtahRugbyGuy macrumors newbie

Every so often I get a few app updates on my iPhone 4S. I update them. Maybe five or ten of these update sessions happen in a couple weeks. Then one day I decide to update once through iTunes. I go to the updates page and all the apps I downloaded over the past weeks are there saying I need to download and install them all again. It's a minor annoyance at that point. So I start downloading and it slows iTunes down to a crawl (I know I need to upgrade the memory on my Mac Pro Tower) and why should I have to slow my Mac down while I sit and have to re-download 25 apps?

It's ridiculous. It didn't used to do that. I've been a Mac user 20 years and an iPhone owner ever since the 2nd release so I'm no dummy. This one's got me baffled tho.

Anyone know to fix this and make them talk to each other so iTunes recognizes the phone apps are already updated? They should be syncing together. I have it set up to automatically sync when I plug the phone in. It also syncs via wifi when I plug in to a regular charger and my iTunes is running.

(Maybe every 2 years or more I post here with a question and someone ALWAYS tells me I should search the forum. I searched the forum so save it. If you can help, wonderful. I'd appreciate it very much. If you don't want to because you feel I haven't searched enough, just let someone else ...someone smart answer. Thanks everyone :)

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

As far as I know iTunes has always done this. Yes it does get annoying because I do the same thing, just not with that many apps. I thought if you just plugged in your iPhone and hit sync it would transfer those updates to your computer. I'm wondering though how old your Mac Pro is that it's slowing down this bad. My mini is not slowing down at all. Just hogging bandwidth.

3. stonyboys macrumors 6502

I always thought that once you synced up your phone, the updated app would be moved onto your computer and itunes would have the updated version. Is that not the case for you?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

That's how it works in my case, and always has, both with an iPad and iPhone.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

That's exactly what's always happened with my iPhones too.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Have you tried doing "transfer purchases" before doing a sync? I think this might transfer the updated apps into iTunes.

7. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Exact same for me as well. connect phone and it automatically synchs across the latest versions from iPhone to PC.