I Upgraded To 8 GB Memory On My 2011 13" Base MBP and I Have Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregpod9, Aug 5, 2011.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

Today I upgraded to 8 GB of memory on my 2011 13" base MBP and I would like to know if its efficient for what I will be using it for. I'm going to buy Windows 7 and Parallels next month and I would like to know if 8 GB will make a difference when using Parallels instead of 4 GB of memory?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

8GB will definitely help with running Parallels.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Yes, it definitely will make a difference running virtual machines. You can now assign more RAM to Windows for example without slowing down Mac programs.

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind though that Parallels will only allot 2gb of RAM to windows by default (I think it's 2gb - might even be less). You will have to manually configure Parallels to allow for more if you want it.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes it will make a big difference especially with parallels and other VM software.. Just make sure you go into the settings and change the amount allotted to the virtual machine to suit your needs. I wouldn't give it over 4gb though, that may start causing issues if you do.

6. gregpod9 thread starter macrumors regular

My memory that I bought and installed in my 2011 13" base MBP a few days started to have issues yesterday. The memory is causing my MBP to be unstable. The memory brand is Corsair and the model number is CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9. I returned this memory back to Fry's Electronics and they tested it on a Windows 7 laptop and a MBP. The Windows 7 laptop had no issues with the memory, but the MBP had issues with this memory.

7. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I bought the exact same memory from Newegg for my 2011 MBP back in April, and I never had a problem with it at all.

Maybe you just got bad memory sticks...don't listen to Fry's.

R

(p.s., in April it was a good deal at $82 - now it is $49.99...)

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

8GB will most definitely help. I, personally, found it impractical to run Win7 in Parallels with only 4GB of RAM.