I use my iMac also as an external monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shenfrey, Apr 5, 2014.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

it is a late 2009 one, and I use it to play my xbox using the kanex converter attached with HDMI.

I am buying a mini gaming PC, and would like to know if this would also work the same way? The graphics card built inside it has an HDMI port.

Thanks guys : )

2. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Using the kanex converter it would.

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

What about resolution wise, will windows only pop up the resolutions the imac can display?

4. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

I'm not sure, can your windows graphic card graphic output more than 1080P through HDMI?

5. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh no, 1080p only. Would 1080p work with my imac?

6. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Yes it would, no trouble there. It's just that the resolution of your iMac is a lot superior than 1080P, so either the picture will be smaller then your screen but at 1080P, or it will stretch to the full screen but at a lesser resolution. Basically, it will work but it will not look as good as your are used to from your iMac.

7. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

I do believe though that some hdmi versions support higher resolutions then 1080P? The GPU I have ordered is a 4950, not too old, I am hoping will this support native resolution but I guess I'll find out Saturday when I put it together.

8. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Yes some HDMI does but I don't know which ones, and I don't know either if the adaptor would support this higher resolution. I had the same iMac then you have with a 15 inches mid 2012 MBP not retina but the higher resolution graphic card and maxed out cpu with a SSD and at first I used it like you do with that same adaptor for other pc but when I realized how faster my macbook pro was compared to the iMac I found out that I didn't use the iMac as a computer anymore just as a monitor. So I sold the iMac and used the money to buy a high end monitor that has multiple inputs instead. I can use that monitor with anything, pc, console , macs anything.

What 2012 MPB model do you have?

I forgot to mention that I upgraded my MBP with a bluray burner!!!

9. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

I am using a 2012 MBP, the one before retina p.

Well my graphics card does have a mini display port, as does my imac, can I assume that if I use a mini display port cable I can get full resolutions?

Thanks again

10. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Yes I'm pretty sure you can, since you wouldn't need to use the kanex adaptor for this cable.

11. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Wicked! Thanks so much for your help : )

12. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

You're welcome!:)