Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I went car shopping, and of course being Sunday the dealers were closed which meant I wouldn't be bothered by hungry salesmen, as I looked.

However, since we are in the midst of a strong winter storm, it would make it uncomfortable for me to look into the window of the cars I was interested in to see the stickers. I realize I could do this from home on my iMac, but I wanted to see the actual car not a photo of it.

I drove to the lot, then used my iPad to call up the dealers webpage. The ones I went to had a tab for "New Cars" or "Used Cars" which, when I went to, had full descriptions and all the sticker info of each car on the lot, as well as some info not normally found on the sticker. They also had photos of the car both inside and out, so I could be assured of the actual condition of the car I was looking at.

I could sit in my car and read all the info and look at the car in comfort. If needed I could then get get out and do a quick walk around to see the vehicle from all perspectives.

Others on this forum may have done this already but I wanted to share this idea for those who may not have thought of it, or read of it.

Have fun and keep warm.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I would have been impressed if you found a barcode, scanned it with your iPhone and found a cheaper one on amazon.

Keep in mind those pictures you were browsing are taken with someone who may know some tricks on what to do to make something come out in a photo and what might not be well lit to hide something.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Good use of the iPad. While most local dealers around here have similar functionality on their websites, unfortunately most of the manufacturers use flash, so if you had tried to go to the manufacturer site to look at the car you might have been out of luck with the iPad.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I did something similar when I bought my car two months ago. I also used an app to check on auto reviews plus browse Edmonds' website.
Having the iPad with me saved me from making a bad purchase decision, plus it helped me negotiate a fair price.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I did something similar when I bought my car two months ago. I also used an app to check on auto reviews plus browse Edmonds' website.
Having the iPad with me saved me from making a bad purchase decision, plus it helped me negotiate a fair price.

While I appreciate the use of technology, are you saying you only viewed these sites the morning you went to buy a car? I can't tell you how many times I browsed the internet when looking for a car, then the number of test drives etc etc. Never did I think to leave the house, browse the net and buy a car all in one morning.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
While not innovative, I had iPad with me as the wife and I were buying a used RV. The lot was 13 acres and full. Nice to be able to access NADA and Kelly Blue book quickly and easily. Traveling in the RV is nice having my 3G iPad in the console. Great for directions, park information, weather, etc...

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Ignore the haters. Use your iPad when you're in negotiations for said car by pulling up Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds and playing hardball.

Yes, a smartphone can do it. But an iPad does it so much nicer -- screen size makes a big difference.

Enjoy! :)

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Just being able to pull up things like Edmunds.com to look at car specs and reviews, expected prices, etc. is a huge help...

I LOVE walking into a dealership, and telling them "Ok, I know what you paid for the car, so I'll give you $100 more than that. Not a dime more, and if you don't like it, I'll just go to one of the other 6 xyz dealerships here in Atlanta that sells the same thing..."

Often because of Edmunds and website reviews and such, I walk in with more knowledge than the sales people. Being able to show them the information right there on the iPad is really helpful too. Keeps you from getting screwed.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Just being able to pull up things like Edmunds.com to look at car specs and reviews, expected prices, etc. is a huge help...

I LOVE walking into a dealership, and telling them "Ok, I know what you paid for the car, so I'll give you $100 more than that. Not a dime more, and if you don't like it, I'll just go to one of the other 6 xyz dealerships here in Atlanta that sells the same thing..."

Often because of Edmunds and website reviews and such, I walk in with more knowledge than the sales people. Being able to show them the information right there on the iPad is really helpful too. Keeps you from getting screwed.
The problem with that approach is that you often don't know the dealer incentives so your $100 over may well be $1000 over in the end. You need to look at more than just invoice price. Dealers typically get 3% back at the end of the year, plus there may be other dealer incentives that are not publicized.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I do something similar at Best Buy. Since its well known their websites prices are cheaper than the store I go look at something in the store and order it from my phone as in store pickup. BBY gets stingy with price matching sometimes even from their own site.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
The problem with that approach is that you often don't know the dealer incentives so your $100 over may well be $1000 over in the end. You need to look at more than just invoice price. Dealers typically get 3% back at the end of the year, plus there may be other dealer incentives that are not publicized.

Who the hell cares how much profit a dealer makes. If you get the price you want, then what do you care if they make ten cents or 10 thousand?

Funny how we all know that Apple makes a s@#t ton of profit on everything we buy from them and its perfectly acceptable, but heaven forbid a dealership make a single penny from us.

Back on topic, Kudos to the OP for finding a great way to use the iPad in everyday life. Personally I still think its the best piece of tech in my life.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Who the hell cares how much profit a dealer makes. If you get the price you want, then what do you care if they make ten cents or 10 thousand?

Funny how we all know that Apple makes a s@#t ton of profit on everything we buy from them and its perfectly acceptable, but heaven forbid a dealership make a single penny from us.

Back on topic, Kudos to the OP for finding a great way to use the iPad in everyday life. Personally I still think its the best piece of tech in my life.
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to stiff the dealer but merely to give the poster some info. If he is truly looking for the lowest price he can get there is no guarantee that offering $100 over invoice will work, and most likely it will not get the best price for the reasons I have stated. And I agree, this is a good use for the iPad in everyday life.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
However, since we are in the midst of a strong winter storm, it would make it uncomfortable for me to look into the window of the cars I was interested in to see the stickers. I realize I could do this from home on my iMac, but I wanted to see the actual car not a photo of it.

Not a hater, just asking a question:

Are you still able to see the cars during a winter storm, which I assume means snow or sleet. So can you still see the cars?

I totally understand not wanting to walk around the lot in the cold to see the stickers, so using the iPad to read about the cars that are in front of you is a great idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.