I voted for the office of POTUS for first time

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Oct 29, 2016.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am honored, and humbled. I voted for the first time since I became a citizen in a presidential election.
    To be honest with you, it's a whirlwind of feelings. It's difficult to describe how humble I feel right now.
    I am proud of my adoptive country... yes, even in this crazy electoral cycle.
    Thank you to all my friends of PRSI; it's always nice to discuss with you, even (if not especially) when we strongly disagree.

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

That's good. You should always vote your conscience. We need higher voter turnout and more people participating in the political process so we stop getting these whacky candidates.

3. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep.
    Oh and to clarify... my ballot had both R's and D's in it. Party line is often secondary.

4. Savor Suspended

Savor

Feel sorry for you it has to be this year as your first time.

5. macmee Suspended

macmee

I'm glad in a very large sense that I'm Canadian and don't have to think about voting in the US election.

The candidates both seem like an absolute nightmare.

Good for you for voting. I don't think I could've voted for either of them in your shoes.

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

For me the first election I could vote was the 2004 election (citizenship gained in May 2004). And I agree with you, it was a very good feeling. There I was, a guy from a small ex-communist Eastern European country voting in the presidential elections in the United States. Very cool feeling.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sincerely welcome to America @yaxomoxay and @Fancuku, and thank you for partaking in something that many take for granted.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is getting mugged your first week here with this election.

9. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I remember my first time, too. Voting that is. Now election years make me depressed and the midterm elections are worse. It's not the rhetoric that bugs me. It's the constant in-your-face political BS for 2 years that bug me.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Just don't say who you voted for.

If you voted for Hillary, the Trump supporters will never forgive you.
    If you voted for Trump, the Hillary supporters will never forgive you.
    If you voted for Gary Johnson, everyone will just think you are crazy :).

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

12. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I voted for Gary Rodham Trump!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2016 ---
    Thank you, sir!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2016 ---
    Exactly! Sometimes I feel that the average American doesn't realize the importance of voting.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

congrats to you then

14. MarkusL macrumors 6502

But don't forget to build a wall!

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Mad props to all of you who have attained citizenship. You had to work hard for something the rest of us take for granted. I worked with a friend from Canada when he was studying for his citizenship, and I couldn't answer too many of the questions.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Citizenship process isn't easy anywhere you go, that's part of the process, and one reason Republicans want illegals to get in line. There are millions waiting patiently for their turn.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What an uplifting thread.

Thank you for starting it @yaxomoxay - and for making the critical point that while elections matter, so, too, does actively participating in the actual electoral process by choosing to vote, or electing to vote for a candidate or candidates, or parties.

For most of history, most men, and almost all women had absolutely no say in who governed them, and this is a precious and hated fight for, and hard won right in many cases. To this day, in much of the world, people have little or no meaningful say in choosing who governs or rules them.

Therefore, to my mind, exercising the franchise is one of the most important things one can do as a committed and engaged citizen, and it is something I take very seriously.

Congratulations on voting and congratulations, too, on your citizenship.

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Boy are the Jill Stein voters going to hate you.
    Assuming they actually exist.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's no line and there's no turn. That's just a metaphor that misses an important aspect of the U.S. immigration system.

But, for a moment, let's assume that there is a line.

There are people from the Philippians who have waited more than 20 years to get in, while people from France get to skip the bouncer, and a group of a trust fund kids have been sneaking going right to the Champagne room because they've got $500,000. Meanwhile, the Mexican (and increasingly Central American and Asian) cooks and dishwashers have been keeping the place running for decades when they're not ducking the bouncers.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Congrats. My parents used to bring me to the voting center on voting day as a child. Strangely enough, I've never actually voted in person. Only on absentee ballots.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I voted for Jill Stein.;) I was a Gary guy back when I didn't know anything about him. But the more I hear about him, the more his stocks dropped. I don't know anything about Jill Stein, but she can't be worst than a mass murder, a crazed narcissist or a clueless pothead, amirite?

I know it was a wasted vote in a Blue State, but down with the 2 party system.;)

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Good on you. I don't think a third party vote is a wasted vote. I'm going to cast one too, probably. I admit if I lived in a swing state I'd probably follow my party registration (which is getting shakey thanks to the DNC) and cast a vote for Clinton this year.

23. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No vote is a wasted vote. Actually, if we want to move out of this two-party system this year is the year in which a third party can gain credibility for 2020. It's not all about winning in 2016, it's about gaining enough traction for the future.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Unless and until third parties start getting elected on a local and state level, third party Presidential candidates will matter not.