I waited and waited and waited, but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LisaMaree, Aug 2, 2010.

1. LisaMaree macrumors member

I couldn't wait anymore. Ever since the MBA was first announced, I was dying to own one. I've always been a big fan of ultraportables and thin notebooks from the likes of Sony and Fujitsu, and now there was not only one with Mac OS X but one that looks so svelte and so gorgeous as the first unibody notebook from Apple. Unfortunately, it was super pricey and I already had a working MacBook Pro.

So months ago, I decided it was time for a new computer but I knew the MBA hadn't been updated for some time so I was hesitant to buy it. There were rumors flying around about an updated version coming out any day now. I know rumors are just rumors but I guess I let the anticipation of it get the better of me and I waited. And waited some more. But nothing. And the MBP I had was ready to croak.

Since then, I've bought an iPad and a new MacBook Pro 17" i5. The antithesis of an MBA, for sure, but if I couldn't have the ultraportable, I decided to go for power and screen real estate (and the iPad helps in the portable department). Who else waited and waited but ended up getting another machine?

PS. If a new MBA comes out now, I'd be too broke to get one :( I'd have to wait yet again!

2. DJ Kwai macrumors newbie

I waited too...

I'm in the same boat. I have a new university position in hand, with almost an open budget for me to purchase any laptop of my choosing. They've been bugging me all summer about which computer to get, and I've been stalling since May. But the time came, and I ended up ordering a MBP 13 with SSD. Which is too bad because my university would have bought me an MBA with SSD no problem!

3. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

Same here. I actually ended up buying a refurbished 1.86 with SSD from Apple (from my own pocket) - and IF the upgraded MBA ever comes out this will be bought by my lab. This way however I am enjoying the perks of the MBA already and didn't invest that much...

4. mangrove macrumors 6502

I just bought an iPad and I will hold out for the next Air!!!!! At least that's what I say today.

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I use my Air less since I got my iPad, but still do like it a real lot! And it does get used, just not as much as before. Just keeping it in more pristine condition I guess!

I saw the Sony ultraportables over the weekend and they just seem so plasticky and cheap. The Air seems a lot nicer in that regard.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You have to remember that Dell may have a thinner ultraportable but they use like 1.5ghz clocks. The air still isn't outdated. I think they aren't updating it because they CANT do any more except for put even more energy saving graphics in there (320M)

7. Moodikar macrumors regular

Is the Macbook Air a Cube?

Do any of you think that the Macbook Air will go the way of the cube? A nice eccentric concept for a small niche market?!

In other words, is this Macbook Air the last one?

I know, I'm hoping for a 11-15inch upgrade but I do think that unless Apple plans to innovate again with the Air and make it experimental and cutting edge again (like 3G, USB3, something else NEW), we might not get anything other than a speed bump (if we're lucky at all).

That said, if there's no market growth, Apple may not invest more money on the Air (especially if they didn't make enough to pay for all the past R&D, and sold all their stock). That's what concerns me. We know the Macbook Air does not sell as well as the MBP are we at the point that where it's time has past...like the cube (ahead of it's time yet less of a demand due to cost versus functionality).

What do you all think?...

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

The Air is very nice, but my MB works fine for me.

9. abriwin macrumors member

I wanted an ultra portable for travel so

rather than wait for the rumoured 11.6" MBA or even an updated MBA (with two usb ports and an sd slot). I bought an iPad - it's very nice but it's not Mac OSX and that's the problem, it's a new learning curve as there's stuff we do naturally on the Mac that we cant do on the iPad, simple things like saving a file!

10. AtmChm macrumors regular

I think so. I had a MBA rev A, and just bought the current one a couple of weeks ago because I concluded from signals from Apple (or lack thereof) as well as posts on this site that the MBA will eventually be discontinued - my guess is when they update the macbook pros.

Mac users around here (university) have been saying the MBA is like the cube - overpriced and underpowered - and will be discontinued. As far as I know, I am the only MBA user among campus employees.

11. alpinadvl macrumors regular

Just wanted to add a comment to this thread...

I have the 2009 mba with ssd - and I just have to note that I absolutely love this computer. does it have some heating issues? occasionally (but not as much as the 1st gen MBA's).... of course I wish it were more powerful etc...etc..

but, I just have to comment that it is an absolute pleasure using it for 90% of the work I do... including photoshop editing (via cinema display) - which works without a hitch.

It is so good, that honestly, I have decided that every revision (including the next one if it does indeed come) I will buy - simply because this is the most versatile computer I have ever owned.

I would hate to be in some of your shoes now.... if a MBA revision is imminent, I would hate to have missed it... but I think the route to go is buy a used (revision C is my recommendation) - and then jump onto the new one when (if) it comes out.

hope this is helpful,

alf