I waited out for the update! Now the question must be asked AGAIN! PB or iBook?

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
1,404
1
Alright, this is my dilemma (AGAIN!)


At the beginning of summer I was set on the 12'' PB because it had way faster clock speed, more memory, more HDD space, and overall much more features.


Now with the recent update I was leaning more towards the iBooks now!

The iBook now has just about the same specs as the 12'' PB. Speed, memory, and graphics is almost as comparable now as well (just that the PB has more vram which I wont be using). Hell I can even get a 14'' iBook and still save much more and get more from the iBook. Even though many of you guys keep telling everyone that "You dont see more." I understand this however I would be getting a larger view that will ease strain off the eyes and besides I also have 2005FPW.

Another big factor that is making me lean more towards the PB is that the iBook actually has a more durable casing than the PB.


Is there ANY reason what so ever that should make me get the PB over the iBook? If not Im definately heading out to the store in a week or two.


FYI: I'll be going to college with this
 

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
237
0
(x,y)
Get the ibook it is a way better deal for your money. The slight increase in processor speed and vram isn't worth the extra 500 bucks.
 

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
2,669
0
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I agree the iBook is a better deal right now.

Only reasons I could see getting the PB is:
1. You need the line in (guitar, etc.)
2. You need the DVI
3. You like the look of the PB better

I can't of these being worth the price difference.
 

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
254
0
macmanmatty said:
Get the ibook it is a way better deal for your money. The slight increase in processor speed and vram isn't worth the extra 500 bucks.
Ya, unless you do not mind waiting for the next Powerbook update, the Powerbook is a HORRIBLE deal during this time.
 

Sam I Am

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
112
0
Ann Arbor, MI
The iBook is definitely a MUCH better deal right now. There is so much you could buy with the extra $500! Go for the iBook, unless you don't mind waiting for PowerBook updates (but it doesn't really sound like you need a PowerBook).
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,591
141
Bergen, Norway
wako said:
But doesnt it have a VGA out?
Yes, great for hooking up to a TV or projector, or even a medium sized screen. But, without the screen spanning hack, the iBooks are just able to screen mirroring and not spanning...
 

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
1,404
1
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Yes, great for hooking up to a TV or projector, or even a medium sized screen. But, without the screen spanning hack, the iBooks are just able to screen mirroring and not spanning...

You arent able to change resolution on an iBook to fit it on a 1680x1050 screen?
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,591
141
Bergen, Norway
wako said:
You arent able to change resolution on an iBook to fit it on a 1680x1050 screen?
Not without the screen spanning hack, no...

iBooks (originally) just support mirroring, where the external screen shows the same as the iBooks screen, at the same resolution, which natively is 1024x768, but can be scaled down to 800x600 or even 640x480.

With the Hack I think you might be able to increase the resolution on the external screen, but I'm not sure...
 

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
915
0
Rampaging Tokyo
Same Boat.

I was saving for a 15" PB - loaded up.

I think I'm going to go with a 12" iBook. 1/2 the price of what I was going to spec out, but should be enough to get me going. When PB's get updated in a HUGE way, I will ebay iBook if I want, and upgrade. I dont think the PB's are a very good value at the moment, but I dont feel like waiting possibly a few months for an upgrade.
 

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
193
0
wako said:
You arent able to change resolution on an iBook to fit it on a 1680x1050 screen?
I'm pretty sure the screen spanning hack pretty much lets the 12 inch ibook do whatever the 12 inch pb can
 

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
193
0
skubish said:
I agree the iBook is a better deal right now.

Only reasons I could see getting the PB is:
1. You need the line in (guitar, etc.)
For those who are planning to use garage band it's much more convienent to use a mobile preamp that'll allow you to record multiple tracks at once.
 

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
1,404
1
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
With the Hack I think you might be able to increase the resolution on the external screen, but I'm not sure...


So how do you do this hack? Is it some software hack or hardware?
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,591
141
Bergen, Norway
wako said:
So how do you do this hack? Is it some software hack or hardware?
It's a small piece of software that you run once. (It can and should be removed before delivering the iBook in for service, but that's easily done by zapping the PRAM). You can get it here and remember to read the instructions carefully!

Disclaimer: I've not tried this, and does in no way guarantee it will work nor not harm your machine.
 

applejack

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2004
18
0
another vote for ibook, above reasons plus in my experience (purely anecdotal) the plastic case is more durable than the aluminum - ii have an ibook that has taken a beating in a messenger bag and remains unscathed, and a powerbook that's been babied at home only and still managed to get a big old dent in the front.
 

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
193
0
The ibook for the average user is GREAT. I'm sure a lot of us here are (I sure am) guilty of ordering stuff in the past but not utilizing it to it's full potential. I think the average user only uses word proc, e-mail, web, itunes, imovie and maybe idvd.

If one wanted a super drive they could always just buy an external one down the road (question: does idvd support external dvd burners?)
 

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
1,641
0
Boston, Massachusetts
AcousticDoc said:
The ibook for the average user is GREAT. I'm sure a lot of us here are (I sure am) guilty of ordering stuff in the past but not utilizing it to it's full potential. I think the average user only uses word proc, e-mail, web, itunes, imovie and maybe idvd.

If one wanted a super drive they could always just buy an external one down the road (question: does idvd support external dvd burners?)
Well Said, My Good Friend! Did you get much sleep last night? :p
 

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
193
0
berkleeboy210 said:
Well Said, My Good Friend! Did you get much sleep last night? :p
berkleeboy! how ya doin. I did not get much sleep at all...but it doesn't matter because I'm excited at buying my firs mac and making the switch finnaly!!! How about you? Are you buying an ibook as well now?
 

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
1,242
0
New Jersey
macmanmatty said:
Get the ibook it is a way better deal for your money. The slight increase in processor speed and vram isn't worth the extra 500 bucks.
Absolutely right. The 14" iBook is the best machine for your money. That's what I am getting. Its a lot cheaper that the PowerBook, larger screen for easy viewing, Superdrive, and the RAM is upgradeable to 1.5GB, the PB only goes to 1.25GB. That's because the PB had 256 built-in and a 256 chip, and the iBook has all 512 built-in...with a free memory slot that acepts up to a 1GB chip. That's what I'm talking about!!
 

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
585
0
Huber Heights, OH
...right...

AcousticDoc said:
I'm pretty sure the screen spanning hack pretty much lets the 12 inch ibook do whatever the 12 inch pb can
please note, the ibook is basically a model designed for students those who will be doing browsing word processing and light photo editing. when it comes to the powerbook even the 12incher the ibooks cannot compete, yes, the spanning hack expands screen real estate, but, thats about where the similarities end. why not have a comp that can do that without having to hack it, the powerbooks have a faster processor, faster hds, better graphics(with tiger and all its eye candy and graphics this is a BIG ++), more connectivity, better screens(graphics again). the powerbook is worth the extra $$ some ppl just dont know what they are lookin at....