i wanna buy an iphone 4 christmas but i have ?s on the price of service.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by claywalker21, Dec 8, 2008.

1. claywalker21 macrumors newbie

im currently with no 1 so im joining At@t, im 17 and i wanna get an iphone for christmas but my dad said it would cost a ton of money because of initiation fees,how much would it cost if i just got an 8 gig i phone with 400 minutes,unlimited texting ,and 3g data thing,do i have to front like 400 dollars how much did it cost u guys to sign up the contract and about how much do u think it will be monthly?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh, look at the Apple website or AT&T website for plans? The cheapest is sixty dollars per month, I believe.

3. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i just have 2 put 200 dollars down on the phone then 60$ a month no initation charges.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You have a few other things to think about such as tax on the actual cost of the phone (unsubsidized) and the activation fee which is usually $18 or $32.

I think it would be in your better interest to go to ATT.com to find out what plans they have for the iPhones and such.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is always an activation fee. I have no idea how much that is. Sweet talk can usually get it waived.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that unlimited text messaging is an additional $20 a month.

7. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

the 1 time fees wont cost more 140$ though right,did it 4 u guys.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the activation fee is $36. Also, the cheapest voice plan is $40 per month and the mandatory data plan is an additional $30. That is *without* text messaging. Texts are an addtional $5 per month for 200, $15 per month for 1500, and $20 per month unlimited. The only thing that could convince your Dad is that AT&T has discounts plans with many companies (called a FAN discount) Those can be up to 25% -- I have one. They are surprisingly common.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

10. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

You are looking at $199 for the iphone and approximately $90 per month for the service depending on taxes and fees.

11. jcosmide macrumors member

If you type like a normal human, you're more likely to elicit responses from people.

12. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

so for me it would presumebly be 200 for phone 36 activation 70 for my plan (random number)and thats it no hidden charges like you have front 400 dollars or something weir also what happens if u have bad cred.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Is it too hard to type in English?
    If you have bad credit you'll have to pay a deposit.

14. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think the easiest thing for you to do is take your dad down to your local AT&T store and talk it over with a customer service representative. You can get actual prices from them.

15. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok,well last question and thank you all for your help,do you guys know how much the deposit would be or is it varied?

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

17. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

if he has a decent credit score does he even have to pay a down payment?Did any of you have to,and how bad was it?

18. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

No to wut?

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Don't understand this word

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Just go to the AT&T store. We don't know what your dad's credit score is. This would be so much easier if you ask someone these questions that actually has the answers.

21. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thank you all for your help everyone.And the reason im typing so sloppy is because im using t9 on my ps3 browser so i aplologize .

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, your first bill from AT&T will owe for the current month, the next month, and the activation fee, so it will seem pretty high.

After that, you just pay your regular monthly rate.

23. claywalker21 thread starter macrumors newbie

24. efice32 macrumors 6502

It's not always the current month and the next month. It only does that when you sign up for the contract near the end of a billing cycle. If you want to avoid that then find out when the billing cycle ends (I want to say it's the middle of the month-ish) and go as soon as the next one starts.

as for the plan, the minute plan you want is $40 and the iPhone data is $30, so that's $70 -- plus you say you want unlimited texting, so that's an extra $20 a month. You're looking at $90 a month, plus the $199 for the phone, plus the $36 activation fee (if you can't get it waived). The activation fee is on your first bill though, so you only have to pay for the price of the phone and tax when you actually buy the phone.