I want 20 hours of battery life on new rmbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wilsoncw1997, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Wilsoncw1997, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

Wilsoncw1997 macrumors newbie

HI Macrumors community, I really enjoy my 2012 retina macbook, but I think the 8-9 hour of battery life is too short even for light school usage. So, does anyone here think the coming Haswell chip 15 inch retinabook could squeeze out 20 hours of battery life of light usage, because the new 13 air have 11-12 hours of battery life.

2. Wilsoncw1997 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Is it difficult to carry around the power supply and/or find an outlet after 8 hours?

4. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

The battery life you're looking for is more likely to appear in 2014 with Broadwell's 30% across the board power drop (meaning it uses 30% less power even at 100% CPU usage) and the likely inclusion of low power IGZO screens. 20 hours is unrealistic, but getting close to 15 by that point might be possible.

The battery improvements you can get from Haswell vary significantly based on your usage. Haswell optimizes power usage at low load CPU load, which means most "normal" computer activities. It does not significantly impact power consumption at high CPU usage, as in when compiling, exporting video, etc. So your overall battery life will depend heavily on how you use it.

Expect a few more hours on the official battery life claims, but not more than that.

5. Wilsoncw1997 thread starter macrumors newbie

So this means my battery life wont improve a lot, because I mainly use FCPX and some photoshop(for art). But I still will consider getting the 15 rmbp if 15 hours as I do a lot of typing on the train. Thanks!

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I frequently hit 20 hours on my iPad 4, depending on usage. I generally charge it 5 times a month.

My question is what on earth do you do with your day that you're away from a power outlet for more than 10 hours at a time?

7. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Video editing in a tree house! :D

No but seriously that's what I want to know too..

8. wmage macrumors member

I'm very happy with the battery life on my 15 inch Retina...

Right now I've been coding for about an hour, got 95% left, the timer says 7 hours.

Also I'm using Mavericks GM, have been using it since I got this one, so don't know about ML.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

10. Serban Suspended

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You won't be getting one then. I just saved you $2,500. You're welcome.

For the retina MBP15? :eek: Even the new Air barely gets that without the display limitations, a bigger battery, HD graphics (non iris) and low CPU demands.

12. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you aren't studying electrical engineering in school Mr. Wilson.

13. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

the current rMBP 15'' can last for ~10-11 hours on low brightness (4 ticks), wifi off, only word processing.

Because haswell hugely reduces power draw on low power states, we can expect huge gains in battery life with low brightness, wifi off, and word processing only. ~20 hours is not unrealistic in this scenario.

However, battery life at medium usage will be lower, maybe ~10 hours with haswell. And at high usage it should be almost no different than ivy bridge battery life.

14. Serban Suspended

yes retina retina more battery drain...but the form factor is bigger than 13" MBA so ...like last year the 13" BMA last 7hours=rMBP 7 hours

15. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

What do these words even mean

16. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

I think OP is just joking around, but most of us are so rMBP-crazy that we missed it.

Let me bet the terse responses in this thread are from people who have spent far too much time in the "Waiting for Haswell" thread.

17. theromz macrumors regular

Some of the replies here are just :eek:.

The retina models wont get more battery life then the Airs, the Airs not only went to Haswell, but they dropped the clock speeds and I would say increased the battery capacity in the machine. The Retina models dont have these luxuries, there really isn't anymore room to fit battery inside, they cant afford to lose performance, and to start off with the screen drew much more % of the overall battery usage when compared to the Airs. I would expect at most 2hours more.

18. Wilsoncw1997 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I'm too lazy to pull out my charger.

----------

I think Apple should build the new OSX with a under clock feature when doing little task, and when FCPX or PS the CPU return to normal state. Who needs quad core when you are typing an email?

19. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Dell XPS 15 achieves 13 hours and has IGZO display. I expect Apple to do better... 15h!

20. Wilsoncw1997 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll go post in that threat and see what happens.

21. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

It already does that. The computer doesn't have all 4 cores active at one time during all tasks

22. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I think the new battery life will be about 8 or 9 Hours. I'm not seeing it go above that sorry.