I want a 400 PPI 4.4" iPhone and a 400 PPI 9.7" iPad, anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MythicFrost, Oct 17, 2011.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I really want a 4.4" iPhone with a 1440x960 (393 PPI) resolution and a 9.7" iPad with a 3072x2304 (395 PPI) resolution. It'll probably never happen, but I want to imagine it might so don't burst my bubble :p

(Unless of course the SGX6xx series is released and is able to handle it, which it would.)

That's a lot of pixels, but games, videos and photos would look absolutely phenomenal. You might not be able to see the pixels at 326 PPI right now but it would still look better, crisper, and especially so with the three mentioned above.

Mmm pixels... :eek:

2. hovercast macrumors member

Well sorry to burst your bubble but that is never going to happen :D lolz

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I'd be good with an iPad like that, but I'd want 4.2" as the absolute max on an iPhone. In fact, 4" would be ideal. I have stubby thumbs, and anything larger than 4" makes it a 2 handed phone for me. I often use my phone one handed and a 4.4" screen would make it impossible to reach the far corner with one hand.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I want a new president but realize that right now it is not going to happen.:eek:

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The problem is this idea is Too Good.
    It's steeped in Common Sense (too much for Apple)
    Apples sales would Explode (yes we know they're already great)
    The narrow minded have already declared it's a bad idea (months ago)

So there you have it. A brilliant idea without a chance.

(and they claim Apple Innovates)

Oh, by the way I'd buy several of each.

7. MagnusF macrumors regular

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So once you receive this "dream" phone, what's next? You will want a 5.4" screen? Sigh.

9. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Course not, just a 4.4" one. 5.4" is a bit too big imo

10. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

I don't know about the 4.4", but I'm sure that 400 PPI will be a reality in a couple years time. I doubt it'll be long before you can't see pixels on your phone regardless of how close your eyes are.

Just think.. 10 years ago we didn't even have the internet! :eek:;)

11. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

the main thing that appeals to me about the iphone is the compact size together with a high-res screen

I used an HTC sensation for a bit. A lovely phone. but the size was a big issue for me

rgds

12. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

You can't see anything over 300 ppi. Anything over that is just for bragging rights and the fools who fall for it.

13. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Technically the SGX543MP2 could handle 1440x960 (and even higher) so it's possible for a 3.5" iPhone to have such a resolution which results in about 450 PPI.

I know, that's crazy eh?
    They'd need to keep a 3.5" model as well which would give consumers a choice. I, for one, would love a bigger screen but others such as yourself might prefer as you say, a more compact smartphone.
    Wrong :p

You can't see individual pixels over 300 PPI however that doesn't mean you can't see a difference in detail overall which is especially true of videos, photos, and even more so gaming.

The resolution can continue to go up until you can't see jaggies in games anymore.

14. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I don't know about you, but I had the internet in 2001. In fact, I had the Internet in 1993. (and my first broadband connection in 1996)

15. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

Haha wow it's hard to communicate sarcasm online. I thought the ;) would do it, suppose I should have used some :p:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:*sarcasm*

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

400 PPI? That's outright retarded OP. There's no point other than to boast to people in forums

17. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Uh? No it's not. That's only 76 PPI higher than what we have now on the 4S, and it'll only make content look better.

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Well when you say it like that obviously it will sound like a minor bump. The fact is it's almost a 25% increase in pixel density. It'll be the most insignificant gain in quality, noticeable by only a handful of people. They should put their R&D money towards doing useful stuff like improving the battery life.

19. bryanjc macrumors regular

Yeah, to the iPad no to the iPhone.

I wont buy another iPhone if the screen gets bigger.

20. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It all helps. iOS is great for gaming, and games look more and more stunning the higher the PPI (to an extent).
    They'd need to release two models -- a 3.5" 326 PPI and 4.4" 400 PPI.

21. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Looking around at your posts on this board it is quite clear who the narrow minded one is.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

As long as the processor/GPU can keep up and the game is made well. I'm all for a bigger screen, but I seriously think they'd be better served by spending their time improving the other aspects of the phone first and addressing a PPI bump later.

23. scootaru macrumors 6502

I like the idea, OP. I was trying to figure out what it would take to get an HD display, while maintaining Apple's current aspect ratio. Looks like you figured it out.

As far as the size goes, that phone would be really wide if they don't figure out how to reduce the bezel.

As a side benefit, battery life could actually increase since there might be enough room for a bigger battery.

All sounds good to me.

24. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Mmm maybe, but still I'd really love that extra PPI and screen size :D
    Yeah, it would be cool to be able to play HD content. Yeah, they'll need an edge to edge display I think.

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

I actually wouldn't mind that screen size for the iPhone. At first I thought it was the width that would bother if we got a bigger screen. But it might be the height. My fingers are long enough to grip and hold them one-handed. I've hard a pack of cigarettes that have been wider to grip than our phones.

Considering we have seen trends with thinness, cameras, real QWERTY, UI, and apps, it only makes sense the next battleground is the wow factor from the SCREEN. Displays are getting bigger and resolutions, contrast ratio, and ppi are getting higher. Battle of the HDTV screen displays for our pocket is the next round. No different than when people eventually went from SDTV to HDTV and DVD to Blu-ray. Quality of display is the one area we can still improve alot at with cell phones and tablets.